Christopher E. Hoyme is a Shareholder in the Omaha, Nebraska, office of Jackson Lewis P.C. His accomplishments in employment law were recently recognized by his selection as 2015 Lawyer of the Year in Litigation - Labor and Employment for the Omaha metropolitan area by Best Lawyers and U.S. News & World Report.
Mr. Hoyme represents management nationwide in all facets of employment litigation. He has successfully defended employers across the country in over 40 federal and state courts, as well as before numerous federal and state administrative agencies across the country.
Mr. Hoyme looks for practical solutions for clients facing litigation. He believes in a proactive, preventive approach to dealing with employment issues so that clients are placed in the best possible position to avoid lawsuits before they are filed. However, once a client is faced with defending a lawsuit, Mr. Hoyme's approach is to respond quickly and aggressively, making him a formidable opponent in the courtroom.
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC
The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions and should not be based solely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise. This disclosure is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Iowa. Memberships and offices in legal fraternities and legal societies, technical and professional licenses, and memberships in scientific, technical and professional associations and societies of law or field of practice does not mean that a lawyer is a specialist or expert in a field of law, nor does it mean that such lawyer is necessarily any more expert or competent than any other lawyer. All potential clients are urged to make their own independent investigation and evaluation of any lawyer being considered. This notice is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Iowa.
Pro Bono and Community Involvement
•Legal Aid of Nebraska, Employment Counsel
•“Employers Must Prove Physical Presence in Workplace is Essential Function, Sixth Circuit Rules, ” South Dakota Municipalities (July 2014) [Author]
•“Labor FAQ, ” SDRA Retail Prophet (June 2014) [Author]
•“Nebraska Extends Veterans Preference to Spouses of Disabled Vets, ” www.lexology.com (February 27, 2014) [Author]
•“Police Officer's Facebook Rants Not Protected Speech under the First Amendment Federal Court Rules, ” South Dakota Municipalities (April 2014) [Author]
•“City Employee Properly Alleged Forth Amendment Violation for Unreasonable Search and Seizure by Ordering Drug Test Based on Personal Animosity, ” South Dakota Municipalities (February 2014) [Author]
• NLRB General Counsel on Social Media, The Midwest Employer (Spring 2012) [Author]
• Federal Appeals Court Rejects Narrowing Summary Judgment Standard for Discrimination Cases (June 28, 2011) [Author]
• 8th Circuit 'Discrimination Exception' Takes a Hit, Employment Law 360 (July 2011) [Author]
• NLRB ruling requires posting of employee rights, SDRA Retail Prophet (September 2011) [Author]
• New posting requirement delayed to January 31, 2012, SDRA Retail Prophet (October 2011) [Author]
• EEOC Releases New ADA Regulations, Implementing 2008 ADA Amendments Act, SDRA Retail Prophet (May 2011) [Author]
• How The Health Care Reform Law Impacts Employers, SDRA Retail Prophet (May 2010) [Author]
• Twittering employees: Issues facing employers in a web-based world, SDRA Retail Prophet (July 2010) [Author]
• The Road to Labor Law Compliance Worker Misclassification Pt 1, SDRA Retail Prophet (August 2010) [Author]
• The Employee Free Choice Act, Nebraska Trucker (Feb 2009) [Author]
• Using Transitional Duty to Lower Your Costs, Nebraska Trucker (December 2008) [Author]
• E-Storing Personnel Records: Is It An Option? Nebraska Trucker (July 2008) [Author]
• Proactive Steps to Avoid Employment Litigation, IEC Insights (July 2008) [Author]
• Avoiding Wage & Hour Errors - Don't Be the Next Statistic, Nebraska Trucker (May 2008) [Author]
• Employer's Top Ten List: Avoiding Retaliation Claims, Nebraska Methodist Health System (April 2008) [Author]
In the News
August 17, 2015
Jackson Lewis Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
August 17, 2015
WHITE PLAINS, NY (August 17, 2015) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's preeminent workplace law firms, is pleased to announce 137 of the firm's attorneys have been named to the 2016 edition of Best Lawyers. In addition, 10 attorneys were named “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective...
May 19, 2015
Chambers & Partners
Jackson Lewis Attorneys Ranked in 2015 Chambers USA Guide
May 19, 2015
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (May 19, 2015) Jackson Lewis P.C., one of the country's largest and fastest-growing workplace law firms, is pleased to announce the firm and 62 of its attorneys have been recognized in the 2015 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, a prestigious annual guide ranking
February 27, 2014
Nebraska Extends Veterans Preference to Spouses of Disabled Vets
February 27, 2014
Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman has approved a new Nebraska law that extends veterans preference in hiring to the spouses of permanently disabled veterans. The new law goes into effect January 1, 2015. The new law amends Nebraska's Veterans Preference Act to include in the definition of veteran, “the spouse of a veteran who...
Employee Apps = Employer Data Risk?
April 1, 2015
Many mobile app developers do not place a high priority on data security, as illustrated by a recent IBM/Ponemon study: Fifty percent of mobile app developers have no budget for security. Forty percent of companies don't scan mobile app codes for vulnerabilities.
By Christopher E. Hoyme (Also at Rapid City, South Dakota Office)