- Business Law
- Business Counseling
- Small Business Investment Companies
- Private Equity
- Mergers & Acquisitions
|University ||Northwestern University, B.A., Political Science/Economics, cum laude|
|Law School||University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with highest distinction; Order of the Coif, University of Iowa Law Merit Scholar; Senior Note & Comment Editor, Iowa Law Review, 2000-2001; Research Assistant, University of Iowa College of Law, 1999-2000; Order of the Coif, University of Iowa Law Merit Scholar|
|Admitted||2001, Illinois; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois|
Chris Douglass is a partner in Edwards Wildman's Business Law Department. Chris has significant experience representing private equity and mezzanine funds, including small business investment companies (SBICs), in fund formation and in making, managing and exiting investments in privately-held companies. He also serves as outside general counsel to privately-held companies and advises on a wide array of contracting, financing, securities and governance issues. Chris served as Co-Chair of the firm's Associates Committee and has conducted on-campus interviews for several years at the University of Iowa College of Law and the University of Michigan Law School on behalf of the firm's Recruiting Committee.
· Represented SBICs in secondary portfolio sales and in buyouts of SBA's preferred partnership interest.
· Represented an energy marketing company in acquisition and financing transactions.
· Represented a specialty chemical company in the acquisition of a division of a publicly-held competitor, including financing, employment, noncompetition and transition services arrangements.
· Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of the assets of two divisions of a landscaping and commercial irrigation concern, including employment, consulting and product sourcing arrangements.
· Represented a private equity fund in a merger of its portfolio company into a Japanese company, handling negotiations with shareholders and those for the merger agreement with the acquirer; structuring executive compensation; and overseeing the due diligence of a vast portfolio of international and domestic trademarks.
· Represented investment funds in structuring, negotiating and documenting equity and mezzanine debt investments, including complex transactions involving multiple layers of debt and equity financing.
· Represented a Chicago-based, closely-held company in a series of asset acquisitions to build a local enterprise into a national brand.
· Routinely represents individuals and privately-held companies in mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, financing and refinancing arrangements, governance arrangements, and employment and consulting arrangements.
· Advises private equity and mezzanine funds in fund formation, the SBIC licensing process and compliance with SBA regulations applicable to SBICs.
· Advised healthcare providers on compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
American Bar Association
Business Law Section
Illinois State Bar Association
National Association of Small Business Investment Companies (NASBIC)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
SBA Issues Proposed Rule Permitting SBICs to Invest in Double Holding Companies
Christopher J. Douglass,Alan B. Roth,Michael R. Wilson, January 3, 2014
On December 23, 2013, the U.S. Small Business Administration (“SBA”) issued a proposed rule to revise the Small Business Investment Company (“SBIC”) regulations regarding investments in passive businesses and the use of double holding companies in structuring SBIC...
SBA Modifies Procedures for the Prepayment of SBIC Pooled Debentures
Christopher J. Douglass,Alan B. Roth,Tamer Tullgren, July 30, 2013
On July 25, 2013, the U.S. Small Business Administration (“SBA”) issued a notice to Small Business Investment Companies (“SBICs”) that the procedures to prepay pooled debentures are being changed starting with the next semi-annual payment date on September 1, 2013.
SBIC Annual Recertification of Institutional Investor Status
Christopher J. Douglass,Kate L. Price,Alan B. Roth, May 10, 2013
On May 8, 2013, the U.S. Small Business Administration (“SBA”) issued Memorandum #2013-1 regarding annual recertification of the Institutional Investors of Small Business Investment Companies (“SBICs”). The Investment Division of the SBA requires certain SBICs to recertify...
|Profile Visibility |
|#3,387 in weekly profile views out of 38,643 lawyers in Chicago, Illinois|
|#137,516 in weekly profile views out of 1,509,349 total lawyers Overall|