- Consumer Products & Retail
- Health & Safety
- Human Rights
- Immigration - Corporate
- Life Sciences
|University ||University of British Columbia, B.Comm., Honours, 1997|
|Law School||University of British Columbia, LL.B., 2000|
|Admitted||2001, British Columbia. (Not admitted in Alberta)|
Christopher McHardy* is a partner in the Vancouver Labour & Employment Group. He advises employers on a broad range of issues relating to labour, employment, human rights, privacy and immigration law. His experience includes:
· advising US clients on labour, employment, privacy and immigration laws in connection with establishing business operations in British Columbia;
· advising employers on, and preparing and negotiating, employment and consulting agreements, restrictive covenants; workplace policies, employee handbooks and other employment-related documents;
· advising on labour and employment issues in corporate mergers, acquisitions and outsourcing;
· advising employers on union certification drives and applications, decertification applications, unfair labour practices and collective bargaining; and representing employers in collective bargaining;
· defending employers against employee claims in provincial and superior courts, the Human Rights Tribunal, the Employment Standards Tribunal, the Labour Relations Board, labour arbitration boards, the Workers' Compensation Board and its Appeal Tribunal, the Privacy Commissioner and other administrative bodies;
· representing employers in mediation and other alternative dispute resolution processes;
· advising employers on human resource management practices, privacy laws, union avoidance, and employee hiring, layoffs and terminations; and
· advising and assisting organizations and individuals with immigration matters, particularly work permits, Provincial Nominee Program applications and permanent residence.
Mr. McHardy appears in the 2012 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of workplace human rights.
Mr. McHardy received his B.Comm. (1997 Honours) and his LLB (2000) from the University of British Columbia. Mr. McHardy has focused his practice on labour and employment matters since his call to the BC bar in 2001.
*denotes Law Corporation
(Also at Vancouver, British Columbia Office)
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Update on Overtime Class Actions in Canada
Christopher McHardy, August 19, 2014
Canadian employers have been watching a series of class action claims, with employees claiming hundreds of millions of dollars in unpaid overtime, since 2007. While overtime class action claims are still not possible in British Columbia, claims can balloon in other provinces when a representative...
Temporary Foreign Worker Program Under Fire
Christopher McHardy, May 2, 2014
It is no secret that the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is under attack. Personally, it is a concern that the government has suspended a significant part of the TFWP based on allegations that a small number businesses have allegedly abused the TFWP (at this point, the claims remain...
|Profile Visibility |
|#49 in weekly profile views out of 4,605 lawyers in Calgary, Alberta|
|#23,189 in weekly profile views out of 1,515,052 total lawyers Overall|