Christopher Cox is Co-Chair of Cadwalader's Corporate Group. He represents clients in a wide array of corporate and financial matters, with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. Chris has represented public and private acquirors, targets, investment banks and private equity sponsors in connection with negotiated and contested mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, spin-offs, joint ventures, proxy contests and IP monetizations and other complex financings. He also represents foreign and domestic entities in cross-border business transactions.
In addition to his transactional experience, Chris counsels clients on a broad range of corporate, securities and business-related matters and on matters of corporate policy and strategy, including directors' duties and responsibilities, governance, disclosure issues, and compliance. With a premier reputation for advising businesses in the life sciences industry, Chris has been recognized for his work in mergers, acquisitions and buyouts by The Legal 500.
Chris's transactional experience covers a broad range of industries, including communications, defense and aerospace, energy, financial institutions, insurance, life sciences, media, natural resources, real estate, retail and technology.
Chris received his B.S. from the University of Missouri and his J.D. from the University's Law School, where he was a member of the Missouri Law Review. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
· Air Products and Chemicals in its agreement with Pershing Square Capital Management following the 9.8% investment position taken by Bill Ackman.
· Dell Inc.'s financial advisor in connection with Dell's $24.9 billion acquisition by Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners.
· Elan Corporation in its pending $8.6 billion acquisition by Perrigo Company.
· Elan Corporation in its successful defense of a hostile tender offer by Royalty Pharma.
· Elan Corporation in its attempted $1.0 billion acquisition from Theravance, Inc. of a 21% participation interest in potential future royalty payments related to four respiratory programs partnered with GlaxoSmithKline plc.
· HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a debt financing to Dyax Corp. secured by Dyax's phage display Licensing and Funded Research Program.
· Elan Corporation in connection with its $1 billion share repurchase.
· Elan Corporation in connection with its Rule 144A offering of $850 million in aggregate principal amount of senior notes.
· Par Pharmaceutical's financial advisor in connection with Par's $1.8 billion acquisition by TPG Capital.
· Elan Corporation in the $3.25 billion sale of its interest in Tysabri® to Biogen Idec.
· Cadiz Inc. in connection with its comprehensive debt refinancing.
· HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a royalty financing to Vertex Pharmaceuticals.
· Elan Corporation in connection with the spinoff of its drug discovery business into a new, independent publicly-traded company, Prothena Corporation.
· YMF Media in its acquisition of the intellectual property rights of Kiss FM from Emmis Communications.
· Deutsche Bank, BNP PARIBAS and Banca IMI, as joint book-running managers, in connection with the public offering of €300 million of Senior Notes by Air Products and Chemicals.
· Nektar Therapeutics in its sale of royalties on future sales of CIMZIA® and Mircera® to Royalty Pharma.
· HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a royalty financing with, and equity investment in, Zogenix, Inc.
· Corning Incorporated's financial advisor in connection with Corning's $730 million purchase of Becton Dickinson's Discovery Labware unit.
· HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with its Synthetic Royalty® investment in AcuFocus, Inc.
· Forbes in its sale of a minority stake in Forbes Media, which includes Forbes magazine, the Forbes.com Web site and a number of smaller media properties, to Elevation Partners.
· Cytec Industries' financial advisor in connection with the $1.03 billion sale of Cytec's Coatings Resins unit to Advent International.
· Elan Corporation in connection with the $960 million sale of its drug technology unit, EDT, to Alkermes plc and in connection with Elan's secondary offering of 25% of the outstanding ordinary shares of Alkermes plc.
· Elan Corporation in connection with the $1.4 billion sale of its Alzheimer's Immunotherapy Program to an affiliate of Johnson &Johnson, honored as the Biotech M&A/Alliance Deal of the Year, 2010.
· Elan Corporation in connection with its settlement of the U.S. Department of Justice's investigation of sales and marketing practices for Zonegran® (zonisamide).
· ICON plc in its acquisition of Prevalere Life Sciences, Inc.
· ICON plc in its acquisition of Healthcare Discoveries, Inc., formerly a wholly-owned subsidiary of Catalyst Pharma Group Inc.
· Beazer Homes in connection with investigations by, and settlement with, the Securities and Exchange Commission, Department of Justice and other authorities concerning accounting irregularities and mortgage practices.
· 1-800-Flowers.com in its acquisition of Fannie May Confections Brands, Inc.
· ORS Nasco in its sale to Brazos Private Equity Partners, LLC.
· Mediacom Communications Corporation's financial advisors in connection with Mediacom's $2.1 billion acquisition of AT&T Broadband Cable Systems.
· JPMorgan in connection with the initial public offering of Mediacom Communications Corporation.
· ICON plc in a public offering of American Depositary Shares.