Christopher T. Cox is Chairman of Cadwalader's Corporate Department and a member of the firm's Management Committee. He represents clients in a wide array of corporate and financial matters, with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. Chris has represented public and private acquirors, targets, investment banks and private equity sponsors in connection with negotiated and contested mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, spin-offs, joint ventures, proxy contests and IP monetizations and other complex financings. He also represents foreign and domestic entities in cross-border business transactions.
In addition to his transactional experience, Chris counsels clients on a broad range of corporate, securities and business-related matters and on matters of corporate policy and strategy, including directors' duties and responsibilities, governance, disclosure issues, and compliance. With a premier reputation for advising businesses in the life sciences industry, Chris was selected by The American Lawyer as one of its “ Dealmakers of the Year” for his work with Irish drugmaker Elan Corporation, as well as 2014 Global M&A Deal of the Year: Europe/Ireland award for his representation of Elan in its sale to Perrigo Company. He was also named in M&A Atlas Top 50 Global M&A Lawyers for “ 2014 Distinction in Dealmaking,” and won the Deal of the Year award for Elan/Perrigo. Chris has been recognized for his work in mergers, acquisitions and buyouts by The Legal 500, and was shortlisted for the IFLR European M&A Deal of the Year award.
Chris's transactional experience covers a broad range of industries, including communications, defense and aerospace, energy, financial institutions, insurance, life sciences, media, natural resources, real estate, retail and technology.
Chris received his B.S. from the University of Missouri and his J.D. from the University's Law School, where he was a member of the Missouri Law Review. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
•salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd. in its $15.6 billion acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
• Cigna Corporation in connection with its pending acquisition of QualCare Alliance Networks, Inc.
• Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
• Forbes Media LLC in its sale of a majority equity interest to a group of international investors led by Integrated Asset Management (Asia) Limited.
•salix Pharmaceuticals in its terminated combination with Cosmo Technologies, a subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals.
• Elan Corporation in its $8.6 billion acquisition by Perrigo Company.
• Elan Corporation in its successful defense of a hostile tender offer by Royalty Pharma.
• Air Products and Chemicals in its agreement with Pershing Square Capital Management following the 9.8% investment position taken by Bill Ackman.
• Cigna Corporation in connection with a $1.5 billion Revolving Credit and Letter of Credit Agreement.
• Credit Suisse, as sole structuring advisor and sole placement agent, in connection with a structured bond financing by Zealand Pharma A/S secured by lixisenatide (Lyxumia ) royalties.
• Centerview Partners LLC, as financial advisor to Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc., in connection with the sale of Avanir to Otsuka Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd.
• Brandon Point Industries Limited and Woodford Investment Management in connection with an equity investment in Viamet Pharmaceuticals Holdings, LLC.
• Cadiz Inc. in connection with a public equity offering.
• Dell Inc.'s financial advisor in connection with Dell's $24.9 billion acquisition by Michael Dell and Silver Lake Partners.
• Elan Corporation in its attempted $1.0 billion acquisition from Theravance, Inc. of a 21% participation interest in potential future royalty payments related to four respiratory programs partnered with GlaxoSmithKline plc.
• HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a debt financing to Dyax Corp. secured by Dyax's phage display Licensing and Funded Research Program.
• Elan Corporation in connection with a $1 billion share repurchase.
• Elan Corporation in connection with a Rule 144A offering of $850 million in aggregate principal amount of senior notes.
• Par Pharmaceutical's financial advisor in connection with Par's $1.8 billion acquisition by TPG Capital.
• Elan Corporation in the $3.25 billion sale of its interest in Tysabri to Biogen Idec.
• Cadiz Inc. in connection with a comprehensive debt refinancing.
• HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a royalty financing to Vertex Pharmaceuticals.
• Elan Corporation in connection with the spinoff of its drug discovery business into a new, independent publicly-traded company, Prothena Corporation.
• YMF Media in its acquisition of the intellectual property rights of Kiss FM from Emmis Communications.
• Deutsche Bank, BNP PARIBAS and Banca IMI, as joint book-running managers, in connection with the public offering of 300 million in aggregate principal amount of Senior Notes by Air Products and Chemicals.
• Nektar Therapeutics in its sale of royalties on future sales of CIMZIA and Mircera to Royalty Pharma.
• HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with a royalty financing with, and equity investment in, Zogenix, Inc.
• Corning Incorporated's financial advisor in connection with Corning's $730 million purchase of Becton Dickinson's Discovery Labware unit.
• HealthCare Royalty Partners in connection with its Synthetic Royalty investment in AcuFocus, Inc.
• Forbes in its sale of a minority stake in Forbes Media, which includes Forbes magazine, the Forbes.com Web site and a number of smaller media properties, to Elevation Partners.
• White Birch Paper Company in its acquisition of SP Newsprint Company.
• Elan Corporation in connection with the $960 million sale of its drug technology unit, EDT, to Alkermes plc and in connection with Elan's secondary offering of 25% of the outstanding ordinary shares of Alkermes plc.
• Elan Corporation in connection with the $1.4 billion sale of its Alzheimer's Immunotherapy Program to an affiliate of Johnson &Johnson, honored as the Biotech M&A/Alliance Deal of the Year, 2010.
• Elan Corporation in connection with its settlement of the U.S. Department of Justice's investigation of sales and marketing practices for Zonegran (zonisamide).
• ICON plc in its acquisition of Prevalere Life Sciences, Inc.
• ICON plc in its acquisition of Healthcare Discoveries, Inc., formerly a wholly-owned subsidiary of Catalyst Pharma Group Inc.
• Beazer Homes in connection with investigations by, and settlement with, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice and other authorities concerning accounting irregularities and mortgage practices.
• 1-800-Flowers.com in its acquisition of Fannie May Confections Brands, Inc.
• ORS Nasco in its sale to Brazos Private Equity Partners, LLC.
• Mediacom Communications Corporation's financial advisors in connection with Mediacom's $2.1 billion acquisition of AT&T Broadband Cable Systems.
• JPMorgan in connection with the initial public offering of Mediacom Communications Corporation.
• ICON plc in a public offering of American Depositary Shares.
News & Resources
• Cadwalader Represents Salix Pharmaceuticals in Its Acquisition by Valeant Pharmaceuticals Apr 01, 2015
• Tax thread runs through pharma deals Apr 07, 2014
• Cadwalader Recognized Among Leading Law Firms in 2015 Edition of IFLR 1000 Oct 21, 2014
Clients & Friends Memos
• M&A Update: Treasury Announces New Anti-Inversion Rules Sep 23, 2014
• The American Lawyer: Dealmakers 2014 When Blarney Fails featuring Christopher Cox Apr 02, 2014
• Quorum: February 2015 V3N1Feb 11, 2015