Practice/Industry Group Overview
The Wealth Preservation Practice Group is concerned with the specific needs of each client. We provide our clients with individually created estate plans and estate planning documents to assist them in achieving their particular estate planning and personal goals. Our client base includes a diverse array of individuals and entities, including owners of closely-held businesses. We recognize that our clients' needs are distinct and complex. As such, we take the time to learn about their businesses to advise them with regard to tax-savings and business succession measures. Our priority is to make sure that the needs of the client and the client's family are met, to reduce income, estate and other taxes and provide for creditor and other asset protection.
BUSINESS WEALTH PRESERVATION
- The continuity and succession of a closely held business
- Shareholders' and buy-sell agreements
- Family limited partnerships
- Documentation for intra-family sales
- Shareholder disputes
- Business formation
- Real Estate transactions
PERSONAL WEALTH PRESERVATION
- Sophisticated estate plans and documents
- Trusts and Wills
- Financial Powers of Attorney
- Health Care Directives and Living Wills
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, Qualified Personal Residence Trusts, Generation-Skipping Trusts and Charitable Trusts
- IRAs and qualified and non-qualified retirement accounts including, designation of beneficiaries
- Charitable foundations
- Guardianships and Special Needs Trusts
- Disposition of court awards and litigation settlements
TRUST AND ESTATE ADMINISTRATION
- Settlement of decedent's estates and administration of Trusts
- Preparation of accounts and federal and state death and fiduciary income tax returns
- Representation of banks, trust companies and individuals serving as trustees and executors
The Marcellus Shale phenomenon has created significant leasing activity throughout Pennsylvania and neighboring states. Gas leases produce significant income, and are often the largest dollar value contract a landowner will sign in his or her lifetime. The wealth generated by a “family gas business” creates major estate and business planning issues and opportunities.
The Wealth Preservation team at Cohen Seglias has hands-on experience, in Northeastern and Southwestern Pennsylvania, navigating complex gas lease issues that affect landowners for generations to come. Our team will guide you through the process of getting the most from your natural gas royalties, while minimizing taxes and protecting your family.
Articles Authored by Lawyers at this office:
Best Options To Give Financial Help to Family and Friends
Wayne C. Buckwalter, September 23, 2013
Many people are feeling pretty pessimistic about their finances and are wondering how they're going to pay their bills. Their situation may be due to layoffs or stock market fluctuations among other things.
James Gandolfini's Will and Lessons for the Rest of Us
Wayne C. Buckwalter, August 06, 2013
The unexpected death of James Gandolfini at the young age of 51 has sparked national interest about the will of the man who made Tony Soprano a household name. The problems it caused remind us about taxes, how to provide for family in a sensible manner and the benefit of efficient practical estate...
Inherited IRA Rules - What You Don't Know Will Cost You
Wayne C. Buckwalter, August 01, 2013
People who are named as IRA beneficiaries are often unfamiliar with the IRS rules to apply to taxable distributions following the death of the account owner. The rules differ dramatically for spouse and non spouse beneficiaries. A spouse beneficiary may simply roll over the IRA tax free into an IRA...