- Asia Pacific
- Business Immigration
- Competition and Marketing Law
- Oil and Gas
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- International Group
- Public-Private Infrastructure Projects
- Government Relations
- Corporate Commercial
- Securities & Capital Markets
- Climate Change
- Defense and Security Industry
|University ||St. Francis Xavier University (Joint Honours B.B.A. in Economics/Business Administration, 1973); McMaster University, M.A., Economics, 1974|
|Law School||Dalhousie Law School, LL.B., 1977|
|Admitted||1980, Nova Scotia; 1984, Alberta|
|Born||Antigonish, Nova Scotia|
Colin MacDonald is a partner in our Calgary office and a member of the Calgary Regional Management Committee. Colin was admitted to the Bar of Nova Scotia in 1980 and the Alberta Bar in 1984. He graduated from Dalhousie Law School in 1977 and prior to that received a M.A. (Economics) from McMaster University in 1974 and a Joint Honours degree (B.B.A.) in Economics and Business Administration from St. Francis Xavier University in 1973.
Areas of Practice
· Colin primarily practices in the commercial area with an emphasis on Government Relations and Competition Law. He chairs the Firm's National Government Relations practice group.
· From 1977-1982, served in several capacities with the Government of Canada including as Executive Assistant to the Minister of Finance and Deputy Prime Minister of Canada.
· After moving to Calgary in 1983, served as counsel for Canterra Energy Ltd. until 1988 with involvement in oil and gas-related matters including acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas assets.
· At Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Colin has worked primarily in the corporate/commercial area and advises clients on Competition Act and Investment Canada Act matters as well as corporate governance matters.
· Colin has an active government relations practice and advises clients on a variety of strategic issues at all levels of government in Canada.
Professional and Community Activities
· Member, Law Society of Alberta
· Member, Nova Scotia Barristers' Society (non practicing member)
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Institute of Corporate Directors - Institute Certified Director (April 2007)
· Chair of the Board of Governors of Canada's Sports Hall of Fame (since 2012)
· Member, Board of Directors of Terra Energy Corp., a TSX Listed Corporation (since 2004)
· Member, Board of Governors of St. Francis Xavier University (2005 - 2010)
· Past Chair, Board of Directors of Winsport Canada (Director 2000-2010)
· Member, Board of Directors of Calgary Airport Authority (1998 - 2006)
· Member, Board of Directors of Catholic Family Services (1997 - 2007)
· Member, Board of Directors of Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (1994-2002)
· Member, Board of Directors of a number of private corporations
· National Vice President Liberal Party of Canada (1990-1994)
· Awarded the 1992 Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada for significant contribution to the community.
· Awarded the 2010 City of Calgary Grant MacEwan Lifetime Achievement Award for 25 years of significant contribution to the community.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
A Line Drawn in the Sands
Colin P. MacDonald,Jeffrey S. Thomas, December 12, 2012
On Friday December 7, 2012, Canada’s Industry Minister, the Honourable Christian Paradis, announced that he approved the widely publicized proposed acquisitions by the China National Offshore Oil Corp. (“CNOOC”) of Nexen Inc and Petroliam Nasional Bhd (“Petronas”) of...
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#24 in weekly profile views out of 6,677 lawyers in Calgary, Alberta|
|#3,815 in weekly profile views out of 1,500,634 total lawyers Overall|