Colleen A. Cassidy practices in the area of civil litigation and appellate matters, with an emphasis on complex insurance coverage disputes, on both the trial and appellate level, in California and other jurisdictions.
Ms. Cassidy is a 1990 graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law and is a graduate of the University of California, Davis.
· APL Co. v. Valley Forge Ins. Co., 2013 U.S.App. LEXIS 20347 (9th Cir. Cal. Oct. 4, 2013); Won Ninth Circuit appeal for insurer establishing no insurance coverage for subject remediation costs.
· Obtained an order granting summary judgment that Great American Insurance Company and Great American Insurance Company of New York had no duty to defend or indemnify an insured with respect to an underlying lawsuit involving pollution claims. The coverage action was filed in Federal District Court in San Francisco.
· Reversal by California Court of Appeal of $49.6 million verdict in California for multi-victim auto accident allegedly caused by improper loading, on basis that toxicologist had no basis to conclude stoned driver was unimpaired because he was a habitual user of marijuana.
· American Casualty Co. of Reading, Pa., et al. v. International Creative Management, et al. (U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, order dated Sept. 10, 2010). Obtained a summary judgment order on behalf of insurers that required their insured to reimburse a $2.25 million settlement payment the insurers had advanced to settle an underlying action age-discrimination action.
· Airis SFO, LLC v. The City and County of San Francisco (California Court of Appeal, First District, Division One, unpublished opinion dated Sept. 22, 2010). Obtained a decision from the California Court of Appeal reinstating a $1.05 million jury verdict in favor a developer of air-cargo facilities against a major city and its airport. The appellate court reversed the JNOV overturning the verdict, ruling that the trial court erred in determining that the developer's claim for breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing was time-barred.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Special Counsel, 2006-present
- Associate, 2006
· Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP
- Associate (part-time), 2005
- Partner, 1997-2003
- Associate, 1990-1997
· Craig & Winkelman LLP
- Contract Attorney, 2003-2005
· American Bar Association
· State Bar of California
· San Francisco Bar Association