Corby Anderson's practice focuses on commercial litigation, with an emphasis on intellectual property, franchising and new media. She has represented clients in trials and appeals involving trademark, copyright, trade secret, patent, unfair competition, and false advertising claims as well as other contract and business tort disputes. She has defended business clients in class actions involving franchise, contract, and investment issues. She has represented media clients in defamation cases and proceedings involving subpoenas and public records.
Ms. Anderson practices in North Carolina trial and appellate courts and in federal courts throughout the United States.
Ms. Anderson regularly counsels clients on intellectual property, social media, privacy, advertising and franchise matters. She is a certified mediator. She also served as a special master in a major government contract case.
· Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2010
· Named as one of Business North Carolina magazine's "Legal Elite" (2010-2011)
· Member, McGuireWoods LLP - Charlotte, NC (1995-2012)
· Law Clerk, U.S. Court of Federal Claims (1994-1995)
· Reporter, editor and publisher - The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. and Buraff Pulications (1979-1991)
· Represent a leading online lending exchange in intellectual property and litigation matters, including patent litigation involving methods and computer networks for coordinating loans over the internet
· Represent various national franchisors in federal courts in North Carolina seeking injunctive relief against franchisees for trademark infringement and related claims
· Defended a franchisor in a nationwide class action over the administration of franchise advertising funds
· Represented a national software company in litigation against a prospective business partner involving copyright and trade secret disputes related to performance measurement software in health care
· Defended a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver in opposition proceedings at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board brought by a national manufacturer of snowboarding products
· Defended a national provider of waste management services in a class action in North Carolina Business Court involving contract claims
· Represented an international power plant manufacturer in a fraud and breach of contract dispute in federal court in Florida over the construction of a power plant in Pakistan
· Defended a Southeastern grocery chain in a lawsuit in federal court in Texas filed by a company that provided "mystery shopper" services, alleging copyright infringement and theft of trade secrets
· Defended an Indiana-based insurer in class action litigation in federal court in South Carolina over the calculation of insurance benefits
· Represented a major financial institution seeking to halt a competitor's trademark infringement in nationally televised bankcard commercials
· Represented a Jordan-based manufacturer and distributor of Middle Eastern foods and its North Carolina affiliate in a trademark, trade dress, and false advertising lawsuit against an Illinois distributor
· Defended a major motion picture distributor in a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by an author who claimed his manuscript was the basis for the movie "He Got Game"
· Represented a niche-market maker of canine treats in a federal lawsuit to enforce its trademark rights against a major manufacturer of pet products
· Defended a South Carolina-based video distributor in lawsuits in Massachusetts and Indiana over licensing issues, copyright infringement, and trademark infringement and dilution
· Represented a Kansas-based cooling tower manufacturer in a federal lawsuit in Florida involving trademark infringement and business defamation disputes with a competitor based in Calcutta, India
· Defended a general partner in a class action over the syndication of limited partnerships in the cable television industry
· Represented a national investment bank in consolidated securities fraud litigation in Oklahoma
77 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that 77 attorneys have been named to Best Lawyers in America for 2014.
Nexsen Pruet Attorney Corby Anderson Honored with Women in Business Award
Nexsen Pruet attorney Corby Anderson is one of Charlotte's top women in business as selected by the Charlotte Business Journal.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
Survival of the Fittest: Why Do Some Franchise Systems Survive When Other Fail?
Nexsen Pruet attorneys Ted Pearce and Corby Anderson explain why some franchise systems survive when others fail.
How Franchise Systems Can Minimize Risks of Labor Violations
Nexsen Pruet attorneys John Cole, Dedria Harper Kolb, and Corby Anderson discuss ways to guard against wage and hour violations and fines.
Growth: The Lifeblood of a Franchise System
Nexsen Pruet attorneys Ted Pearce and Corby Anderson discuss the paths to growing a franchise.
Franchising (& Distribution) Currents
Nexsen Pruet member (partner) Corby Anderson was the lead author for the Spring 2013 issue of "Franchising (and Distribution) Currents" a section of the Franchise Law Journal.
LightSwitch - Intellectual Property Law Bulletin
This edition contains the following articles:
"Intellectual Property is Warware for Market Share" by Michael Mann and "Seven Tips for Protecting Your Intellectual Property in the Age of Social Media" by Corby Anderson
· Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. Higher Education Roundtable Presentation on Cyberliability (May 2012)
· "Franchise Sales: How to Minimize the Risk and Maximize the Rewards," IFA Franchise Business Network Presentation (July 2011)
· "Drafting, Enforcing, and Litigating Settlement Agreements," International Franchise Association Legal Symposium Presentation and Paper (May 2011)
· "Legal Issues to Consider When Using Social Media," National Council of Higher Education Loan Programs, Inc. Annual Meeting Presentation (March 2011)
· "The Intellectual Property Year in Review - Trade Secrets" North Carolina Bar Association Presentation and Paper (March 2011)
· "Anatomy of a Franchise Lawsuit," North Carolina Bar Association Presentation and Paper (2011, 2009, 2008)
· "Seven Lessons Learned from the Early Years of Social Media," Association of Corporate Counsel, Charlotte Chapter Presentation (November 2010)
· "Protecting the Franchise Brand in the Age of Social Media," ABA Franchise Forum Presentation and Paper (October 2010)
· "Protecting Your Famous Marks Against Trademark Dilution," ABA Franchise Forum Presentation and Paper (October 2007)
· "Staying Power: Managing Competing Demands to Benefit Lawyers, Law Firms, and Clients," North Carolina Bar Association Presentation (February 2006)
· "Legal Issues for Writers," The North Carolina Writers' Network Presentation (February 2005)
· Media Law Resource Center's Annual "50-State Survey of Libel Law," Chapters on 4th Circuit law (2006 - 2012) and North Carolina Law (2000 - 2012)
· "Franchising & Distribution Currents," ABA Franchise Law Journal (annually, 2007 - 2012)
· "North Carolina Considers Right of Publicity Statute," North Carolina Bar Association's Sports & Entertainment Law Newsletter (June 2009)
· "Racing Was Built Here, Racing Lawyers Belong Here," North Carolina State Bar Journal (Summer 2007)
· "The Mecklenburg Bar Revue: Give Them an Audience and They Milk It So Hard It Moos," North Carolina State Bar Journal (Fall 2006)
· "The Initial Interest Confusion Doctrine: A Powerful Protection Against Infringement," ABA Franchise Law Journal (2005)
· "Rosa Parks v. Outkast: Right of Publicity Versus the First Amendment," ABA First Amendment and Media Litigation Newsletter (Summer 2004)
· "The Antitrust Risks of Information Sharing," ABA Franchise Law Journal (2003)
IFA Franchise Business Network
IFA Franchise Business Network (FBN) Luncheon
Civic & Professional Memberships
· Mecklenburg County Bar - Board of Directors (2003-2006); Bar Leadership Institute (2003); Publications, CLE and Centennial Committees (former member)
· North Carolina Bar Association - Committee on Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets, IP Section; Committee on Franchising, Business Law Section; Appellate Rules Study Committee (former member)
· American Bar Association - Franchise Law Journal, Editorial Board; First Amendment and Media Litigation Committee (former member)
· North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys
· University of North Carolina at Charlotte - College of Arts & Sciences Advisory Council
· Kids Voting North Carolina - Board of Directors
· Kids Voting Mecklenburg County - Board of Directors (former member)