Craig Chiasson is Counsel in our International Trade and Arbitration Group. Based in Vancouver, Craig has extensive experience in international commercial arbitration and investment treaty arbitration, as well as considerable experience in complex commercial disputes. He has appeared as counsel in ICC, UNCITRAL, ICSID, SCC, SIAC, BCICAC and ad hoc arbitration proceedings, and in the Appeal, Supreme, and Provincial Courts of British Columbia.
Craig began his practice with BLG in 2002, then from January 2006 to October 2011 worked in the International Arbitration Group of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in Paris before returning to BLG in November 2011.
· Represented a Canadian pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration.
· Represented a UK marine procurement company in an ICC arbitration.
· Represented a Canadian mining company in a UNCITRAL arbitration.
· Represented a Portuguese cement company in an ICC arbitration.
· Represented a US satellite manufacturer in an ICC arbitration and ad hoc proceedings.
· Represented a British Columbia government-owned entity in domestic arbitration proceedings.
· Represented an international mining company in a British Columbia Supreme Court proceeding brought by a company from a South American state.
· Represented an engineering company in a British Columbia Supreme Court proceeding in which there was a parallel proceeding in Europe.
· Represented an engineering company in a British Columbia Supreme Court proceeding against a contractor.
· Represented a Russian energy company in an ICC arbitration.
· Represented a Canadian software company in two international arbitrations under the BCICAC rules.
· Represented an international energy company in an ICSID proceeding against a South American State.
· Represented an international energy company in two ICSID proceedings against a former CIS State.
· Represented States in Europe and Africa in ICSID proceedings arising out of the Energy Charter Treaty and an investor's claims relating to mining rights, respectively.
· Appointed Sole Arbitrator by the BCICAC in an international arbitration in relation to a dispute over the termination of a consultancy agreement between parties from New York and Vancouver.
· Acted as tribunal secretary to Jan Paulsson in Pantechniki S.A. Contractors & Engineers v. Republic of Albania (ICSID Case No ARB/07/21)
· Acted as tribunal secretary in an ICC case relating to the dismantling, transportation and reconstruction of a steel plant.
Publications & Presentations
· Author, "Canada" Chapter, Global Arbitration Review (GAR) Investment Treaty Arbitration Know-How, Global Arbitration Review, November 2012 (with Robert J. C. Deane and J. Cameron Mowatt).
· Speaker, "Practical Solutions to Ethical and Professional Issues that Arise in International Commercial Arbitrations," ICC Canada Conference, November 2012.
· Author, "Best Practices: The Importance of Experienced Arbitration Counsel," International Law Office, April 2012.
· Author, "Arbitration-Related Litigation: Limits to Courts' Supervisory Jurisdiction of the Arbitral Process in Canada," March 2012 (with Gerald W. Ghikas, QC); also presented at CLE BC's 2012 Commercial Arbitration Conference (by Murray Clemens QC, Kenneth McEwan QC, and Mr. Justice Edward Chiasson of the Court of Appeal for British Columbia).
Rankings & Recognitions
· Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated.
· Nominated in the 2013 edition of Expert Guides as a "Rising Star in Commercial Arbitration."
· Member, ICC Canada Arbitration Committee, including as a listed arbitrator
· Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
· Advisory Board Member, Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
· Member, Panel of Arbitrators, British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre (BCICAC)
· Member, London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
· Member, International Bar Association, International Arbitration Section