Craig Hill is a partner in the Toronto office of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP. His practice involves commercial insolvency and restructuring with a focus on:
· Advising trustees, receivers, monitors and other Court-appointed officers with respect to various insolvency proceedings.
· Advising liquidators with respect to proceedings under the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act in connection with the liquidation of financial institutions.
· Advising sureties in insolvencies of construction companies;
· Advising trustees in bankruptcy and compensation funds regarding insolvencies of regulated securities firms.
· Advising debtors and creditors with respect to proceedings under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act, including all aspects of restructuring.
· Advising international clients on cross-border and international insolvency issues.
· Advising the Canadian trustee of MF Global Canada.
· Advising customer compensation funds in proceedings relating to Leaside Securities, Pension Canada, Farm Mutual, Buckingham Securities, Marchment & McKay and Essex Financial.
· Advising the court-appointed monitor in the Canadian Asset Backed Commercial Paper restructuring under the CCAA - the largest restructuring in Canadian history.
· Advising the UK Pension Regulator in connection with the Nortel insolvency proceedings in Canada.
· Advising OEM's relating to automotive supplier insolvency proceedings (Collins & Aikman, SKD, Vannatter, Aradco, Eldorado, Progressive Moulded Products, Plastech, Vikeda, Amcan, Meridian Technologies and Allied Trucking).
· Advising the liquidator of Income Trust Company with respect to proceedings under the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act.
· Advising the Hong Kong liquidator in connection with the insolvency of Akai Holdings - the largest insolvency in Hong Kong history.
· Advising the court-appointed receiver of the Tercon Group.
· Advising the court-appointed monitor of Northstar Aerospace.
· Advising the trustee in bankruptcy of Rampart Securities Inc. and Evergreen Securities.
Publications & Presentations
· Speaker, "Securities Firm Bankruptcies - Part XII in Application," UBC Annual Review of Insolvency Law, February 2012.
· Speaker, "Insolvency and Licence Agreements," Osgoode Advanced Program in Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring 2012.
Rankings & Recognitions
· Selected by peers for inclusion in 2014 edition (and since 2012) of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Insolvency and Financial Restructuring).
· Recognized in the 2013 edition of Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Restructuring/Insolvency).
· Recognized in the 2013 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring).
· Recognized as a leading lawyer in the 2011 edition of IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law (Restructuring and Insolvency).
· Member, Insolvency Institute of Canada (IIC); Co-Chair, IIC Task Force on Pension Reform relating to insolvency matters and Task Force on Legislative Reform.
· Member, American Bankruptcy Institute, Canadian Insolvency Foundation, INSOL International and Turnaround Management Association.
· Member, Ontario Bar Association, Insolvency Section