Craig S. Barnett concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation in state and federal court and in administrative law tribunals. He has represented domestic and international clients at the trial and appellate levels in construction defect and lien litigation, commercial lease disputes, commercial loan disputes and foreclosures, and business tort litigation. As a member of Greenberg Traurig's National Financial Institutions Practice Group, he has represented banking clients in the workout of multi-million dollar loans in the United States, Caribbean, and Central America.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial foreclosures
· Financial institution disputes and loan workouts
· Commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution
· Contract disputes
· Landlord-tenant disputes
· Business torts
· Representation and defense in the trial and appellate court of a real estate developer in multi-million dollar construction defect litigation in Flagler County, Florida.
· Representation of international bank in workouts of multi-million dollar loans involving security interests in Florida and throughout the Caribbean and Central America; coordinate, manage and supervise activities of local counsel and other professionals on behalf of the bank.
· Representation of commercial landowner in administrative proceedings before the USDA Board of Contract Appeals arising from a contract dispute with the United States Department of Agriculture.
· Representation and defense of the District of Columbia in class action litigation regarding property tax assessments.
· Substantial experience on behalf of multinational corporate clients with electronic discovery (eDiscovery), including the prosecution of actions to enjoin destruction of electronic evidence and to obtain access to computers to obtain critical evidence of fraud and other misconduct.
· Representation of national and local financial institutions in commercial foreclosures and non-judicial sales pursuant to Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code throughout the State of Florida.
· Successful prosecution on behalf of employers of litigation to enforce covenants not to compete and claims for damages arising from misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information.
· Representation of institutional clients in commercial landlord-tenant litigation, including evictions, lease disputes, and claims for damages.
· Representation of multinational corporation in negotiation and workout of approximately $39 million in lien claims throughout the State of Florida resulting from fraud and defalcation of general contractor.
· Pro bono representation in appeal involving the adjudication of rights and obligations under the Hague Convention On The Civil Aspects Of International Child Abduction.
· Representation in shareholder derivative, breach of contract, business tort, brokerage commission, and title agent defalcation cases.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, Broward County Bar Association
· Member, Business Litigation Committee, Business Law Section, Florida Bar
· Guardian Ad Litem, Broward County Guardian Ad Litem Program
· Member, Cornell Club of Eastern Florida
· Member, University of Pennsylvania Alumni Club of the Palm Beaches
· Alumnus, Class V, Leadership Fort Lauderdale
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine "Legal Elite," Litigation (2009)
· Law Clerk, Hon. Barbara J. Pariente, Fourth District Court of Appeal (now on the Florida Supreme Court)