Cynthia Levy joined the Yellowknife office of Davis LLP in 1999 following employment in the private practice of law and in legal education. She practises in the area of civil litigation with particular emphasis on employment and labour law and municipal law. Ms. Levy is the managing lawyer of the Yellowknife office of Davis LLP.
Ms. Levy regularly provides advice on employment standards and agreements, drafts employment and termination agreements, and defends wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal litigation on behalf of various municipal governments, associations and boards. Her labour law practice concentrates on the negotiation and interpretation of collective agreements on behalf of employers throughout the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Ms. Levy represents numerous municipal governments throughout the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. She provides general advice on various matters of interest to municipalities, including council procedures, labour and employment, municipal contracts, land issues, and preparation and interpretation of bylaws.
Ms. Levy obtained a Bachelor of Laws degree from Dalhousie University in 1989 and was admitted to the bar in Nova Scotia in 1990. She articled and practised law in Halifax until 1996, gaining extensive experience in legal research and writing, civil and commercial litigation, corporate/commercial law and real estate law.
From 1996 to 1998, Ms. Levy was employed as the instructor of legal studies and paralegal programs offered by several private career colleges in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. In these positions, she delivered lectures and practical instruction in substantive law, legal research and writing, title searching, and supporting courses. She was also responsible for the development of curriculum and evaluation of student progress.
· Recipient, Maritime Law Book Company Prize in Professional Responsibility, 1989
· Recipient, Honourable Alistair Fraser Scholarship, 1987
· Recipient, Queen's University Tricolor Scholarship, 1984
Publications & Seminars
· Case comment re: BHP Billiton Diamonds Inc. v. Public Service Alliance of Canada, Labour and Employment Law Perspective, Canadian Bar Association, January 2007.
· Co-author, Northwest Territories and Nunavut chapter, The Design Build Deskbook, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry.
· Director, Yellowknife Guild of Arts and Crafts, 2002-present
· Member of host committee, Midnight Sun Float Plane Fly-In, 2004-present
· Member, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· Member, Law Society of Nunavut
· Member, admissions committee, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· Representative to court library committee, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· Member, recruitment/retention committee, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· Member, discipline committee, Law Society of the Northwest Territories
· Former chair, Labour/Employment Section, NWT Branch, Canadian Bar