Cynthia Levy joined the Yellowknife office of Davis LLP in 1999 following employment in the private practice of law and in legal education. She practises corporate/commercial law, commercial real estate and civil litigation with particular emphasis on employment and labour law and municipal law. Cynthia is the managing lawyer of the Yellowknife office of Davis LLP.
Cynthia regularly provides advice on employment standards and agreements, drafts employment and termination agreements, and defends wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal litigation on behalf of various municipal governments, associations and boards. Her labour law practice concentrates on the negotiation and interpretation of collective agreements on behalf of employers throughout the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Cynthia represents numerous municipal governments throughout the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. She provides general advice on various matters of interest to municipalities, including council procedures, labour and employment, municipal contracts, land issues, and preparation and interpretation of bylaws.
Cynthia also practices in the areas of corporate/commercial law, commercial real estate, and mining law.
Cynthia obtained a Bachelor of Laws degree from Dalhousie University in 1989 and was admitted to the bar in Nova Scotia in 1990. She articled and practised law in Halifax until 1996, gaining extensive experience in legal research and writing, civil and commercial litigation, corporate/commercial law and real estate law.
From 1996 to 1998, Cynthia was employed as the instructor of legal studies and paralegal programs offered by several private career colleges in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. In these positions, she delivered lectures and practical instruction in substantive law, legal research and writing, title searching, and supporting courses. She was also responsible for the development of curriculum and evaluation of student progress.
•Recipient, Maritime Law Book Company Prize in Professional Responsibility, 1989
•Recipient, Honourable Alistair Fraser Scholarship, 1987
•Recipient, Queen's University Tricolor Scholarship, 1984
In the Media
• Cynthia Levy Quoted in the Lawyers Weekly August 14, 2007 Cynthia Levy, managing lawyer of Davis LLP's Yellowknife...
• 2014 Employment and Labour Law Conference Presentations - Vancouver... October 8, 2014 On October 3, 2014, Davis LLP hosted its annual Employment & Labour...
• 2014 Employment and Labour Law Conference Presentations - Edmonton... October 8, 2014 On October 1, 2014, Davis LLP hosted its annual Employment & Labour...
• 2013 Employment and Labour Law Conference Presentations - Toronto... May 30, 2013 On May 10, 2013, Davis LLP hosted its sixth annual Toronto Employment...
• RTL-Westcan Completes Refinancing and Acquires... April 7, 2010 Advised various management investors in connection with the formation of the new limited partnership,
• Sale of mineral interests in the Northwest Territories... Prepared all documents relating to the sale of mineral interests in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut