Porpoise Evans counsels public and private companies, and represents their interests in connection with government investigations and legal disputes.
Areas of Concentration
· Securities litigation, including FINRA arbitrations
· Commercial litigation
· FCPA compliance and investigations
· ADA litigation
· Employment counseling and litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Adjunct Clinical Faculty and Advisory Board Member, University of Miami School of Law Center for Ethics and Public Service
· Advisory Council Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Miami, Alumni Development Advisory Council
· Board Member, Arts & Business Council of Miami, Board of Trustees
· Board Member, Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., Board of Directors
· Co-Chair, Brown University Alumni, Miami Schools Committee
- Past Southeast Regional Director
· Executive Council Member, The Florida Bar, Entertainment Arts and Sports Law Section
· Mentor, John W. Kozyak Minority Law Student Mentoring Program
· Past Secretary, Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
· Higginbotham fellow, American Arbitration Association, 2013
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," 2013
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Up & Comers," 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2009-2013
- "Rising Star," 2009-2012
· Selected, Legacy Miami magazine and Miami Herald, "Legacy Legal Leader," The Wilkie D. Ferguson Jr. Bar Association, 2012
· Selected, "40 Under 40 - Outstanding Lawyer of Miami," The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2009
· Recipient, Inaugural "Community Advocacy Award," Dade County Bar Association, Put Something Back Program, May 2009
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
Securities Litigation/Financial Services Litigation
· Defended international broker-dealer against actions brought by public employee pension funds for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and negligence.
· Defended international banking institution against claims of fraud, racketeering and civil conspiracy.
· Defended international and regional broker dealers against hundreds of actions brought by individual investors in arbitration and federal court.
Professional Malpractice and Professional Negligence
· Defended major accounting firm in accounting malpractice action brought by investors former audit client for alleged violations of GAAS, GAAP, aiding and abetting audit client's breaches of duties and related claims.
Real Estate and ADA Litigation
· Defended real estate developers in dozens of state and federal actions brought by corporate and private buyers alleging violations of state and federal securities laws, ILSA, FDUTPA, and other state and local laws and regulations.
· Represented major banking institution in contested foreclosures.
· Counseled and defended municipalities and commercial landlords, hotels, restaurants and retail stores against claimed violations of Titles II, and III, of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act.
· Summer Intern, U.S. Magistrate Judge John J. O'Sullivan
· Certified Legal Intern, Dade County Public Defender
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act," Supplements to International Labor & Employment Laws: Extraterritorial Application of U.S. Laws, BNA, 2009-2013
· Lecturer, "FINRA Arbitration - The Defense Perspective," Securities Litigation Clinic, University of Miami, March 2013
· Panel Moderator, "Is the Web Accessible?" Social Media and the Law Symposium, University of Miami Law Review, February 2013
· Speaker, "The Cost of Human Trafficking," Annual Conference, ABA Labor and Employment Law Section, November 2012
· Lecturer, "How to Prepare a FINRA Arbitration Case," Securities Litigation Clinic, University of Miami, March 2012
· Speaker, "Pro Bono: Benefiting the Community and Enhancing Your Career," University of Miami School of Law, 2011-2012
· Speaker, Independent Film and the Law Seminar - Protecting Against Intellectual Property Claims, Jacksonville Film Festival, October 2011
· Presenter: Updates to ADA Regulations and Case Law, CLE, 2010
· Presenter, GT Labor and Employment Law Seminars, 2006-2009