DALE HOLMES is Of Counsel at Cohen Seglias Pallas Greenhall & Furman PC and a member of the Federal Construction Contracting Group. He practices in all phases of Federal Government contract and construction law.
Dale has 30 years of experience as an attorney for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and as District Counsel (managing attorney) in Kansas City, St. Louis and Louisville Districts. He served three tours as District Counsel in the Afghanistan Engineer District. During this time, he took part in one of the largest fraud cases to date involving the Army Corps of Engineers.
Prior to joining the Firm, Dale represented clients in private practice on Government Contract Law matters, with a primary focus on work for clients in Afghanistan. He has handled multiple claims before the Civilian and Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals, including cases involving terminations for default.
As a frequent lecturer, Dale has spoken on litigating government contract cases and alternate dispute resolution to numerous government agencies including the Board of Contract Appeals Judges Association, the Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and to the U.S. Attorney's Training Conference.
As District Counsel for four Districts, and Chief Trial Attorney for Kansas City District, Dale litigated or settled numerous (several dozen) claims before the Boards of Contract Appeals, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Examples of reported decisions include:
· Tawazuh & Associates (first ASBCA case ever tried in a war zone, in Kabul, Afghanistan in November 2008) - successful defense of termination for default and several million in claims;
· Southbridge & Associates - successful defense of multimillion dollar claim related to lease of DoD training facilities;
· Hardwick Brothers II v. U.S. - successful defense of multimillion dollar claims on earthwork project;
· Brunson & Associates - successful affirmative claim for architect - engineer malpractice, claim for several million dollars;
· EZ Construction Co. - successful defense of multiple claims on installation of energy devices for military housing.
Awards & Recognition
In his role as attorney for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and as District Counsel (managing attorney) in Kansas City, St. Louis and Louisville Districts, Dale received numerous awards for outstanding service as an attorney including:
· Achievement Medal for Civilian Service
· Two Commanders' Awards for Civilian Service
· Two Superior Service Awards for Civilian Service
· Received the de Fleury Medal in 2010, a Congressionally authorized medal for service to the Engineer Regiment
· Two Chief Counsel's Awards for outstanding service to the legal services community of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers