- Capital Markets
- Financial Services
|Law School||Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal, LL.L., 1976; Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa, J.D., 1980; Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa, LL.M., 1980|
Daniel Bénay is a partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, financing, corporate law, energy (power), mining and infrastructure, as well as international legal consulting.
In his international consulting practice, Mr. Bénay has advised on bank restructurings in Cameroon; securities legislation in Cameroon, secured transactions laws in Vietnam, Cambodia, El Salvador and Morocco, and implementation of privatization initiatives in Haiti.
Mr. Bénay was recently involved in the following transactions:
· Advising Industrial Life in connection with its redemption of trust securities - series A ("IATS") with a nominal value of$150 million.
· Advising SSQ Groupe Financier and Fonds de solidarité FTQ in connection with the acquisition of AXA Life Insurance Inc.;
· Advising a syndicate of dealers co-led by RBC Capital Markets and TD Securities and consisting of BMO Capital Markets, Scotia Capital, CIBC World Markets, National Bank Financial, Casgrain & Company and Industrial Alliance Securities in connection with the offering of $250 million of 4.75% fixed-floating subordinated debentures due December 14, 2021 by Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.;
· Advising ASICS in connection with the acquisition of its Canadian distributor;
· Advising Royal Bank of Canada and RBC Capital Trust complete $1.2 billion offering;
· Advising National Bank of Canada in connection with the renewal of its medium term notes program, the offering of $1.35 billion of medium term notes and $450 million of preferred shares;
· Advising National Bank of Canada and NBC Asset Trust in connection with the initial public offering of $400 million of Trust Capital Securities;
· Advising Royal Bank of Canada and RBC Subordinated Notes Trust in connection with the initial public offering of $1 billion of Trust Subordinated Notes;
· Advising the Agents (led by BMO Capital Markets) in connection with the $800 million initial public offering of BMO Subordinated Notes Trust;
· Advising Addenda Capital Inc. in the context of its acquisition by way of amalgamation by the Co-operator Group;
· Advising Dexia Crédit Local in connection with the $250 million term loan to Ville de Montréal;
· Advising Dexia Crédit Local in connection with the $175 million term loan to Société de transport de Montréal;
· Advising Dexia Crédit Local in connection with the $140 million construction and term loans.
Mr. Bénay is profiled in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leader in the area of Energy (Electricity) - transactional matters and he is also rated by the Martindale-Hubbell Directory. He also appears as leading lawyer in natural resources law in the last edition of Best Lawyers in Canada. Mr. Bénay lectured on Québec Mining Law in Osgoode Certificate in Mining Law (2013).
Mr. Bénay received his LLL from the Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal in 1976 and his J.D. from the Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa in 1980. He also completed graduate studies in law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Ottawa in 1980 (LLM). He was called to the Québec bar in 1977.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Proposed Rules for Exploration Work for Hydrocarbons on the Anticosti Island
Daniel Bénay,Mathieu LeBlanc, July 2, 2014
On June 9, 2014, the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources published in the Gazette officielle du Québec a draft Minister’s Order setting out the conditions on which exploration work for petroleum and natural gas may be performed on Québec public land on the Anticosti Island....
Government Announces its Intent to Relaunch “Small Hydro”
Daniel Bénay,Louis-Nicolas Boulanger, May 27, 2014
On May 21, 2014, Mr. Philippe Couillard, Premier of Québec, presented his inaugural speech at the National Assembly. This was Mr. Couillard’s first inaugural speech which laid out the priorities and guiding objectives that his newly-elected government intends to follow and implement...
Québec Tables Another Bill to Amend the Mining Act
Daniel Bénay,Marc-Alexandre Hudon,Grégory Larroque,Max Thelonious Rogan,Jacob Stone, December 18, 2013
On Thursday, December 5, 2013, Martine Ouellet, the Québec Minister of Natural Resources, tabled Bill no. 70 entitled An Act to amend the Mining Act. The fourth and latest installment in a long line of attempts to reform Québec’s mining legislation, unlike its predecessor Bill...
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#505 in weekly profile views out of 7,681 lawyers in MONTRÉAL QUÉBEC H3B 4S8|
|#149,597 in weekly profile views out of 1,515,714 total lawyers Overall|