Daniel is Co-chair of the firm's Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Practice Group and Chair of our Technology Practice Group. In addition to his active legal practice, he is an adjunct professor of law at the NYU Law School and he has a wealth of experience in private equity and venture capital, having co-founded Dawntreader Ventures, an early stage venture capital firm based in New York.
Daniel's practice focuses on representing emerging technology companies, venture capital, private equity, sports and entertainment, corporate governance, and general corporate law.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Daniel was head of venture capital funds and a managing director of SoundView Technology Group, Inc. (formerly Wit Capital), a technology-focused investment bank. Prior to joining SoundView, he was head of the corporate and new media and e-law practice groups at one of the leading New York firms representing early stage and technology companies.
Daniel has more than 30 years of corporate transactional experience, both as a lawyer and as a businessman, and has been an advisor to many emerging and developmental stage companies. He is a board member of several technology companies and a managing director of Dawntreader Ventures.
Additionally, Daniel is an author of a leading treatise on venture capital called Venture Capital: Forms and Analysis (Law Journal Press, 2007).
•Co-author, Venture Capital: Forms and Analysis, Law Journal Press (2007)
• Nineteen Mintz Levin Attorneys and Seven Practice Areas Featured in 2014 Legal 500 United States Guide, (07.24.2014)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Daniel I. DeWolf to Moderate Panel at Soho Loft's Innovative Investing Symposium 2013, (04.03.2013)
• Mintz Levin Partners with Innovative Co-Working Space, AlleyNYC, (11.13.2012)
• Mintz Levin Sponsors Israel Innovation Road Trip Showcasing 15 Pioneering Technology Start-Ups, (07.11.2011)
• Featured in Periscope Up: This Lawyer/VC is Always Looking Around the Corner, Venture Capital Journal (06.01.2011)
• Co-author, The Entrepreneur's Shares: A Balanced Approach To Founder's Equity, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Advisory (05.15.2014)
• Co-author, Registration Requirements Eased for Brokers and Financial Advisors in M&A Transactions, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (03.26.2014)
• Co-author, Limits on Martin Act Regulation of Rule 506(c) Offerings, VC Experts (01.15.2014)
• Co-author, The New Rule 506: a Useful Crowdsourcing Tool, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (08.07.2013)
• SEC Adopts Rules Permitting General Solicitation in Private Offerings Limited to Purchases by Accredited Investors, Securities Alert (07.22.2013)
• Co-author, Two Recent SEC No Action Letters Establish Standards for Crowdsourcing Online Platforms Limited to Accredited Investors to Avoid Registration as a Broker-Dealer, Securities Alert (04.09.2013)
• Co-author, Fiscal Cliff Legislation Extends Tax Incentive to Invest in Small Businesses, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (01.18.2013)
• Co-author, Opportunities Under New Private Placement Rules, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (10.17.2012)
• Co-author, Recent SEC Guidance on Crowdfunding, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (05.16.2012)
• Co-author, A Major Change for Traditional Private Placements, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (04.09.2012)
• Co-author, Crowdfunding: One Step Closer to Reality, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (03.27.2012)
• Co-author, Should You Consider Becoming a Benefit Corporation?, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (02.13.2012)
• Co-author, New Small Offering Exemption Receiving Support, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (02.02.2012)
• Co-author, Removing the Ban on General Solicitations Gaining Momentum, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (01.19.2012)
• Co-author, Crowdfunding: A 2012 Event?, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (01.09.2012)
• Tax Incentive to Invest in Small Businesses Prior to Year End, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (11.01.2011)
• Co-author, Using Finders to Assist in Financings Can Impose Significant Risks on Your Company, Securities Alert (04.29.2011)
• Co-author, Dodd-Frank Act Affects Private Placements by Raising the Bar for Individual Accredited Investors, Venture Capital & Emerging Companies Alert (07.26.2010)
• Panelist, Fall Panel: The Future and Viability of Crowdfunding, NYU Journal of Law & Business, New York, NY (10.17.2014)
• Speaker, Regulation 506C, 2014 Family Office and Crowdfunding Conference, New York, NY (09.22.2014)
• Speaker, Raising Startup Capital Online, Yale Entrepreneurial Institute, New Haven, CT (02.26.2014)
• Moderator, Secondary Markets and Private Company Stock Strategy, Innovative Investing Symposium 2013, The Soho Loft, Boston, MA (04.05.2013)
• Panelist, How Professional Investors are Using Equity Crowdfunding, What's the Deal with Dealflow and Crowdfunding?, ACG New York, New York, NY (03.12.2013)
• Speaker, Current Issues in Equity-Based Crowdfunding, Crowdzu, New York, NY (11.29.2012)
• Speaker, Business Ethics, Business Ethics Roundtable, EFactor, New York, NY (11.15.2012)
• Panelist, The JOBS Act: Tossing Out 80-Year-Old Securities Rules and Modernizing Capital Formation, Capital Reformation & Crowdfunding Conference, The Soho Loft Capital Creation Event Series, San Francisco, CA (05.10.2012)
• Panelist, Incorporating the Legislative Changes and Developing a New Asset Class, Soho Loft Capital Creation Event Series (04.18.2012)
• Speaker, A Smoother Road to Growth: How to Avoid the Top Ten Most Common Mistakes Made by Start-ups, A Smoother Road to Growth: How to Avoid the Top Ten Most Common Mistakes Made by Start-Ups, Springboard Enterprises, New York, NY (04.04.2012)
• Panelist, Secondary Market Takes Off: What you Need to Know to get On Board, Secondary Market Takes Off: What You Need to Know to Get on Board, Association for Corporate Growth New York, New York, NY (02.09.2012)
• Speaker, Expert Panel: Presenting Financials, AllThingsMedia: 2010 Bootcamp, Springboard Enterprises, New York, NY (08.31.2010)