Daniel's practice is focused on complex business litigation, international and domestic arbitration, intellectual property litigation, class action defense, unfair competition, and telecommunications. He is an experienced trial lawyer and clients often call upon him for complex and challenging cases with stakes that require a winning strategy. He has tried to verdict or award over 40 cases, including jury trials, bench trials, and arbitrations.
Daniel has extensive experience using a strong litigation strategy to secure favorable settlements for his clients. For example, he has served as lead defense counsel on over 70 alleged nationwide class actions, representing a variety of clients from Fortune 100 companies to smaller businesses in a diverse variety of industries, such as telecommunications carriers, technology manufacturers, retail department stores, investment providers, banks, an international cruise line, and insurance companies.
While the aggregate alleged exposure to his clients in class actions amounted to billions of dollars, no class has ever been certified over his objection, none of his class action clients has ever suffered an adverse judgment, and he has secured favorable settlements (often for no payment of cash or payment of minimal nuisance value) for his clients in all class actions he has defended.
Daniel is well-versed in using alternative dispute resolution procedures, like mediation and arbitration, and has successfully handled dozens of complex international and domestic arbitrations. He also has considerable appellate experience, having argued groundbreaking cases to both state and federal appellate courts, including serving as lead counsel on a precedential appeal before an en banc panel of the US Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit.
Prior to joining the firm, Daniel was the head of the San Diego office and California litigation practice of a national law firm.
• Eleven Mintz Levin Members Named Southern California Super Lawyers, (01.17.2014)
• Nine Mintz Levin Members Named San Diego Super Lawyers, (06.10.2013)
• Five Mintz Levin Members Named San Diego Super Lawyers, (06.11.2008)
• Four Mintz Levin Members Named San Diego Super Lawyers, (06.01.2007)
• Mintz Levin Continues San Diego and Palo Alto Growth with Major Additions Including Former Partners from Sonnenschein and Buchanan Ingersoll, (04.03.2007)
Recognitions & Awards
• San Diego Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property Litigation, Business Litigation (2007 - 2009, 2013)
Co-author,The Future of Class Action Suits After Wal-Mart v. Dukes,Class Action Alert (06.23.2011)
• Co-author,U.S. Supreme Court Overturns California Rule that Prohibited Waivers of Class Action Relief in Arbitration Agreements,Class Action Alert (04.28.2011)
• Co-author,CA Supreme Court Prohibits Zip Code Requests in Credit Card Transactions,Litigation Alert (03.17.2011)
• FCC Issues Declaratory Ruling Clarifying Processes For State And Local Responses To Tower Siting Requests,Telecommunications Alert (11.23.2009)
• California Signs Into Law New E-Discovery Rules,California Litigation Alert (07.13.2009)
Speaker,April MCLE: The Fine Print Matters - Boilerplate Contract Clauses Through the Litigator's Lens, ACC America, San Diego, CA (04.17.2014)
• Speaker,Litigate or Arbitrate? The Various Paths to Resolution for Patent Infringement, Commercial, and Trade Secret / Non-Compete Lawsuits,Litigate or Arbitrate?, Mintz Levin, San Diego, CA (01.25.2011)
• Speaker,Best Practices in Negotiating and Drafting Arbitration Clauses, Mintz Levin, Carlsbad, CA (09.23.2009) (Also at San Diego Office)