Daniel Gerber co-chairs Goldberg Segalla's Global Insurance Services Practice Group across the firm's 12 offices in New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, and London. He maintains an international practice in complex insurance coverage and reinsurance matters, and he has previously acted as a mediator, arbitrator, and umpire of insurance and reinsurance disputes. In addition, he advises insurance and reinsurance companies on the effective use of social media platforms and mitigating the risks associated with these strategies.
Click here to learn more about Dan's social media experience.
Dan is the Chair of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Life, Health, and Disability Committee, is Chair of DRI's Social Media Task Force, and has drafted DRI's social media guidelines and strategic plans. He previously chaired the DRI Counsel Meeting Task Force and drafted its current counsel meeting guidelines. He has served on DRI's Annual Meeting Steering Committee and is past Chair of DRI's Insurance Roundtable. Dan is the immediate past Chair of the Insurance and Reinsurance Committee of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC). In addition, Dan is the former Chair of the 3,500-member Torts, Insurance, and Compensation Law Section of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), and he has served in the New York State Bar House of Delegates. He is an ARIAS U.S.-certified arbitrator and is designated on the Res Loquitor Select List of Life, Health and Disability Insurance attorneys. He possesses an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers and Business First's Who's Who in Law. Dan is the 2012 recipient of USLAW's O'Hagan Award, an award given by the President of USLAW to a member who has shown dedication and support to the USLAW Network. He currently serves on the Advisory Board for the LexisNexis Insurance Law Center.
Dan is a frequent author and national lecturer on topics in his areas of concentration. He has authored chapters on reinsurance, discovery in insurance litigation, risk shifting, life insurance, and transactional insurance. He is an author for Appleman on Insurance (Third Edition) and New Appleman's Insurance Law Practice Guide, and he is a regular contributor to Mealey's Emerging Insurance Disputes. He is the co-editor of the Insurance and Reinsurance Report blog, which was ranked as a Top 50 Insurance Blog by LexisNexis, and several publications, including Reinsurance Review ; CaseWatch: Insurance ; and Life, Health, Disability, and ERISA Quarterly . Dan tweets daily on reinsurance and insurance industry issues, and he may be found on Twitter at InsureReReport . He also is the creator, manager, and administrator of two groups on LinkedIn: Insurance and Reinsurance Arbitration and Mediations, and Bermuda Insurance Claims and Underwriting Forum.
He is admitted to the United States Supreme Court, as well as all federal and state courts in New York and Pennsylvania. He has received numerous awards and honors for his professional and community service.
• Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
• Top Rated Lawyer in Litigation, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
• Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
• Firm ranked sixth by Reinsurance Magazine on its Reinsurance Power List, 2010
• USLAW Network O'Hagan Award, 2012
• ARIAS-U.S.-Certified Arbitrator
• LexisNexis Insurance Law Center Advisory Board, 2010-present
• DRI's Albert H. Parnell Outstanding Program Chair Award, 2010
• Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010, 2011
• Upstate New York Super Lawyers (Insurance Coverage)
• Business First's Who's Who in Law, 2007-2012 (Insurance)
• The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers
• LexisNexis Top 50 Insurance Blog Recognition, 2009-2011
• 40 Under Forty Award, Business First, August 2005
• Citizen of the Week Award, The Citizen, January 28, 2005
• Chairperson of the Year Award, New York State Bar Association Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section, for work as Chair of the Insurance Coverage Committee, 2004
• Res Loquitor Select List Designation, 2007
• Former Recipient, Sheldon Hurwitz Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, New York State Bar Association Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law Section
• Admitted as member to Association of Life Insurance Counsel, 2005-present
• Contributed significantly to Goldberg Segalla's Top 20 Ranking in 2010 as a Mid-Size Hotlist firm by National Law Journal
• Top 15 Insurance Professional Blog Recognition, Insurance Quotes, August 2011
• Buffalo-Niagara YMCA: Board of Directors, 2008 - present; Nominating Committee, 2012
• Southtowns YMCA Board of Management: Chair, 2006-2008; Chair, 2004, 2005, and 2006 Strong Kids Campaigns
• Birdsong Homeowners' Association: First Vice President
• H.E.L.P. Buffalo, Inc. Board of Advisors
• Bennett High School Law Magnet Program Mentor
• Volunteer Lawyers Project
• Captain (Retired), United States Army Reserves