Danielle Schonback Garbien represents energy and commodity companies, financial institutions and hedge funds in a wide range of transactional, regulatory and risk management matters. These include, among others, structured energy financing transactions, acquisition and divestiture transactions involving energy commodity trading companies, power generation facilities and other energy assets; and energy commodity transactions, including long-term structured power and natural gas supply facilities.
Danielle has considerable experience drafting, analyzing and negotiating physical and financial commodity-related agreements including purchase and sale agreements, energy management agreements, agricultural repurchase agreements, commodity hedge agreements, netting agreements as well as standardized industry agreements such as ISDAs, EEIs and NAESBs. She also advises clients on international and domestic regulatory and documentation issues related to structured commodity and derivatives transactions, and on-exchange and over-the-counter energy transactions in cash and derivatives markets. Danielle has represented clients involved in government investigations conducted by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
Danielle received her J.D. from the American University - Washington College of Law and her B.A. from Boston College. Danielle is a member of the state bars of New York, Massachusetts (inactive) and the District of Columbia (inactive) and is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
• Represented a financial institution in connection with the sale of its U.S. and international portfolios of physical and financial commodity transactions;
• Represented a national energy company in the divestiture of the assets comprising its wholesale power trading business;
• Represented a national energy company in the structuring and documentation of multiple secured electric energy and natural gas supply facility;
• Represented a financial institution in acquiring the power, natural gas, metals and crude oil trading portfolio of a power marketer;
• Represented a national energy company in connection with structuring wholesale supply arrangements for retail energy service companies;
• Represented the power marketing affiliate of a financial institution in connection with the sale of its power and natural gas trading business;
• Represented the commodity arm of a financial institution in its acquisition of the wholesale power trading and natural gas portfolio of a major power marketer;
• Negotiated, on behalf of a major commercial bank acting as a swap counterparty, the swap documentation, gas remarketing agreement, indenture and associated documents for a municipal pre-paid natural gas transaction and a separate pre-paid electricity transaction;
• Represented a commodity trading firm in connection with the negotiation of a Master Purchase and Repurchase Agreement with a wholesale grain dealer;
• Represented a financial institutions in the negotiations and documentation of long-term supply and storage arrangements;
• Negotiated, on behalf of the commodity arm of a financial institution, a complex hedge agreement, which contained several financially-settled heat rate options.
News & Resources
• Cadwalader Advises Credit Suisse International in Sale of Commodity Transaction Portfolios Jan 07, 2015
• Cadwalader Named 2014 Americas Derivatives Law Firm of the Year; Ray Shirazi Recognized as Top Derivatives Lawyer Sep 19, 2014
Clients & Friends Memos
• FERC Grants CAISO Declaratory Order Request and Accepts Reliability Must-Run Agreement Jan 10, 2013
• Rising Tide: Current Trends in Energy and Commodities Transactions Apr 29, 2015