David A. Barkus focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions and private equity. David's industry experience includes aviation and aerospace, computer software and information technology, construction, consumer products, education, energy, food and beverage, franchising, gaming, health care, and restaurants.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Development and Marketing Committee
· Member, Easter Seals of South Florida
- Board Member, Board of Directors
- Chair, Program Committee
· Member, Miami Finance Forum
· Member, United Way of Miami Dade County, Revenue Diversification Committee
· Adjunct Professor, University of Miami School of Law, Transactional Externship Program, Spring 2012
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2011-2014
· Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Up & Comers," 2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2013
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2009-2013
· Member, team ranked as a top corporate law firm in Miami as selected by corporate directors, in the annual "Legal Industry Research Study" by Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc. (10th year), 2002-2009, 2011-2012
· Selected, Daily Business Review, Top Dealmaker - Domestic Corporate Category, 2010
· Selected, Miami Daily Business Review, Top Dealmaker Finalist, 2009
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2008
· Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," 2007
· Represented IVAX Corporation in its approximately $10 billion merger with TEVA Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., which created the largest generic drug company in the world.
· Represented The Seminole Tribe of Florida and its subsidiary, Seminole Hard Rock Entertainment, Inc., in the $1 billion acquisition of Hard Rock International, Inc. and other related entities from The Rank Group plc, the first purchase of a major international corporation by a Native American tribe.
· Represented MasTec, Inc. in its: (a) $105.6 million sale of DirectStar TV, LLC to Red Ventures, LLC; (b) approximately $185 million purchase of Wanzek Construction, Inc., an infrastructure and alternative energy contractor; (c) $166 million acquisition of Precision Pipeline, LLC and its related affiliate, Precision Transport Company, LLC; (d) $44 million purchase of Pumpco, Inc., a midstream oil and gas pipeline construction company; (e) approximately $30 million purchase of Nsoro, LLC, a wireless infrastructure management and construction company; (f) purchase of Power Partners, LLC, a wind, solar and other alternative energy construction company; (g) purchase of 3 Phase Line Construction, Inc., which specializes in construction and maintenance of overhead and underground utility systems; (h) purchase of CAM Communications, Inc., an equipment construction and network services company for telecommunications carriers; (i) purchase of Fabcor TargetCo, Ltd. and its subsidiaries, Canadian pipeline and facility construction services companies for the oil and gas industry; and (j) acquisition of EC Source, an electric transmission and substation projects company.
· Represented Pine Tree Equity I, LP in connection with its investments in: (a) EnviroVac Holdings, LLC, an environmental and industrial maintenance company; (b) Hi-Tech Testing Service, Inc., a nondestructive testing, inspection and consulting services company; (c) Hydro-Vac Industrial Services, Inc., an environmental and industrial maintenance company; (d) Celtic Capital Corporation, a leading regional provider of asset based financing (i.e., revolvers and term loans) in the western United States, and the subsequent sale of the business; (e) Church Services, a regional provider of residential maintenance, repair and replacement services in the areas of heating, ventilation and air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and foundation repair, and the subsequent sale of the business.
· Represented Pine Tree Equity II, LP (and its affiliates) in the acquisitions of (a) Applied Consultants, Inc. and (b) Federal National Payables, Inc., Federal National Commercial, Inc., and Federal National Services, Inc.
· Represented World Fuel Services Corporation, in connection with its investment in Amsterdam Software B.V., a Netherlands company that develops, sells and licenses aviation software.
· Represented Church Services, a portfolio company of Pine Tree Equity I, LP, in its acquisitions of: (a) Eagle Air Conditioning Service, Inc., (b) 4 Seasons Service Company; (c) Christian Brothers Air Conditioning, Inc.; (d) Southwest Plumbing, Inc.; and (e) Davis Service Company, LLC.
· Represented Hi-Tech Testing Service, Inc., a portfolio company of Pine Tree Equity, in its acquisition of Wilson Inspection X-Ray Services, Inc., a Texas corporation that provides nondestructive testing and related services.
· Represented Hi-Tech Testing Service, Inc., a portfolio company of Pine Tree Equity, in the acquisition of the membership interests of each of Western X-Ray Service, LLC, an Oklahoma limited liability company, and Utah Inspection, LLC, an Oklahoma limited liability company, providers of nondestructive testing and related services.
· Represented Celtic Capital Corporation, a portfolio company of Pine Tree Equity I, LP, in its acquisitions of loan portfolios from Sovereign Bank and Textron.
· Represented Applied Consultants, Inc., a portfolio company of Pine Tree Equity II, LP, in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Central NDT, Inc., a provider of inspection services to the oil and gas pipeline industry.
· Represented Rupari Foods in its sale to middle market private equity firm Wind Point Partners.
· Represented MedVance Institute, a medical and allied health-related career training company and portfolio company of Generation Partners, in its sale to Education Affiliates, Inc., a portfolio company of JLL Partners.
· Represented Shopwiki Corp., an internet shopping portal and portfolio company of Generation Partners, in its merger with a subsidiary of Oversee.net.
· Represented Generation Capital Partners ReCept, LP and its affiliates in its acquisition of a majority of the equity interests in ReCept Holdings, Inc., a provider of specialty pharmacy services.
· Represented Hencorp Becstone, L.C. in its sale of Coffee Network, L.L.C. to FCStone Group, Inc., a subsidiary of INTL FCStone, Inc.
· Represented shareholders of Community Asphalt, Corp. and related entities in their sale to Obrascón Huarte Lain, S.A. for approximately $170 million.
· Represented QPay, Inc., a payment processing systems company serving the cellular telephone industry, in the sale of the company to InComm Holdings, Inc.
· Represented the sole shareholder of Heritage Manufacturing, Inc., a manufacturer of firearms, in the sale of 100% of the equity interests of heritage to Taurus Holdings, Inc.
· Represented major public utility in the acquisition of approximately $80 million of wind power projects from Enron Corp.
· Represented Live Nation, Inc. and its affiliates in their approximately $79 million purchase of Signatures SNI, Inc., a private company specializing in marketing and licensing of artists, celebrities and entertainment properties.
· Represented shareholders of Planning Group International, Inc. in its sale to Sapient Corporation for $42 million.
· Represented purchaser in a $42 million acquisition of a homebuilder.
· Represented Velocitude LLC, a mobile services platform company, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to Akamai Technologies, Inc.
· Represented Premier Healthcare Services, LLC in the sale of its Nurse Staffing and Allied Business units to Advantage on Call, LLC, a subsidiary of Advantage RN, LLC. The sold business units are in the business of providing temporary and permanent nursing and allied health professional staffing in the health care industry to both private and governmental customers (excluding the home health care industry).
· Represented Quality Transportation Services, Inc., an international transportation and logistics firm, in its sale to Kuehne + Nagel Group.
· Represented FAA repair station High Standard Aviation, Inc. in its sale to AMETEK, Inc., a global manufacturer of electronic instruments and electromechanical devices.
· Represented FRX Polymers, Inc. in a round of equity financing from Israel Cleantech Ventures and Capricorn Venture Partners.
· Represented Europ Assistance Group, a global automobile, health, travel and family insurance company based in France in its purchase of Global Medical Management, Inc.
· Represented major consumer products company in the sale of a small appliance and personal care products division.
· Represented Room Service LLC, a furniture and accessories rental company, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to American Furniture Rentals, Inc.
· Represented Elite Aerospace, Inc. in the acquisition of the membership interests of an aviation company.
· Represented Life Fitness Holdings, Inc., operator of physical therapy centers, in the formation of a holding company and sale of a majority interest therein to U.S. Physical Therapy, Inc.
· Represented major franchisor and provider of child daycare services with facilities throughout the United States in connection with its sale to a competitor.
· Represented purchaser in the acquisition of a boatyard in Miami, Florida.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Featured, "Dealmaker - Attorney Negotiates Deal for Buyer Without Obligation to Close," Daily Business Review, May 3, 2010
· Quoted, "Turning the Corner - Multimillion Dollar Deals Start Flowing Again in South Florida," The Miami Herald, July 20, 2009
· Quoted, "Dealmaker - Attorney Handles $40 Million Cash Sale of Private Company to Public," Miami Daily Business Review, March 11, 2009
· Quoted, "Dealmaker - Whirlwind Work by Greenberg Lawyers Helps MasTec Buy Wind-farm Construction Firm," Miami Daily Business Review, December 24, 2008
· Mentioned, "It's All in the Name - Seminoles Purchase of Hard Rock Cafe," American Lawyer, April 1, 2007
· Quoted, "On a Roll - Attorneys Who Helped Seminoles Buy Hard Rock Empire Utilized Plenty of Expertise, Got Little Sleep," Miami Daily Business Review, December 12, 2006
· Mentioned, "NY Partners and Associates Working on Billion-Dollar Deals," New York Lawyer, July 28, 2005
· Mentioned, "Big Deals: Teva Ivax," The American Lawyer, November 1, 2005