David Kurzweil has a great deal of experience in a variety of commercial insolvency situations. He has represented corporations, partnerships and individuals in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, creditors' committees, trustees, and financial institutions. David has negotiated workouts from both the standpoint of counsel for the creditor and the debtor. He has represented businesses and creditors in a variety of fields, including technology, manufacturing, advertising, retail, cable television, publishing, real estate, transportation and professional corporations. David also has extensive experience in representing financial institutions in asset-based loans and debtor-in-possession financing transactions.
Areas of Concentration
· Asset-based lending
· Creditors' rights
· Commercial litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
· Board Member, Commercial Finance Association - Georgia
· Executive Committee Member, Commercial Finance Association - National
· Co-Chair, Commercial Finance Association Education Foundation
· Board Member, Jack & Jill Late Stage Cancer Foundation
· Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
· Member, Atlanta Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section
· Member, State Bar of Georgia, Bankruptcy Law and Creditors' Rights Sections
· Member, Turn-Around Management Association
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Georgia Super Lawyers, 2006-2013
· Listed, Georgia Trend magazine "Legal Elite," 2011-2012
· Member, Winning Team, U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Law Firm of the Year" in Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation - Bankruptcy, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2004-2013
· Ranked, No. 6 Top Bankruptcy Lender Lawyers by Active Cases, The Deal magazine, February 2011
· Recognized, "Dealmakers," The Atlanta Business Chronicle, April 16, 2009
· Ranked, No. 2 Bankruptcy Lender Lawyer in the Country, The Deal's Bankruptcy Insider, 2008
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented national bank in the restructuring of a $230 million revolving credit facility for a public company, including the collateralization of the restructured facility.
· Represented creditors' committee of 500-store specialty photo retail chain.
· Represented debtor in reorganization of home building products company.
· Represented creditors' committee of 160-store national furniture chain.
· Represented creditors' committee of international freight forwarder.
· Represented trustee in investigation and recovery of assets transferred in a multimillion-dollar check kiting scheme from a national bank.
· Represented national manufacturer of plastics products in financial restructuring and bankruptcy proceeding.
· Represented national food products manufacturer in financial restructuring and bankruptcy proceeding.
· Represents financial institutions in asset-based loan and second lien transactions.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Speaker, "Panel B: Forewarned is Forearmed! - Best Practices in Risk Management," 68th Annual Commercial Finance Association Convention, Phoenix, AZ, November 14-16, 2012
· Moderator, Real Estate Restructuring Seminar, CLE International, Orlando, FL, March 2009
· Speaker, "Deals with Financial Troubled Technology," Law Seminars International Conference, Atlanta, GA, March 2001
· Speaker, "Transactions with Financial Troubled Companies," Law Seminars International Conference, Atlanta, GA, February 2001