Large employers, whether on a local or national scale, will face issues that arise from their employees and from labor unions. David Burton, chair of Williams Mullen's Labor & Employment section, is an attorney you want on your side when these matters surface.
Those issues can stem from Title VII, age discrimination, fair labor standards, family and medical leave, the WARN Act, wrongful discharge, covenants not to compete, and employment contracts and handbooks, as well as other state and federal employment issues. David counsels employers on remaining union-free and decertifying existing unions in the workforce, and represents employers in aspects of unfair labor practice proceedings. He also represents management at the bargaining table in labor contract negotiations and arbitrations. David has presented numerous on-site training seminars for supervisors and management personnel on a variety of labor and employment issues.
Whether your company is in the energy (such as mining and natural gas), tobacco, healthcare, transportation or retail industry, David has experience helping businesses just like yours, providing both practical and legal advice on day to day labor and employment issues. Should you find yourself in a dispute, David represents clients in trials, arbitrations and various other fact finding processes throughout the country.
David's extensive experience, paired with his approachable, accessible demeanor and persuasive, highly-effective legal style make him an attorney you may want to consider for your team.
· Significant experience defending employers in the Federal Courts of Virginia and other jurisdictions (including New York, Indiana, Illinois, Florida, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Georgia and California) in cases involving Title VII, disability, and age discrimination cases.
· Defended four collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
· Defended clients in pattern and practice claims brought by the EEOC on numerous occasions.
· Federal court experience includes three jury trials involving Title VII claims made against employers.
· Extensive experience in the area of labor relations under the National Labor Relations Act, representing management before the National Labor Relations Board and federal courts throughout the country.
Awards & Honors
Listed in "Legal Elite," Virginia Business magazine
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America - Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, Labor & Employment Litigation
Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers magazine
Top 100 Virginia Lawyers
Listed as a leading Labor & Employment attorney by Chambers, USA
Leadership Hampton Roads
Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce, Virginia Beach Division; Board of Directors
Virginia Stage Company, Board of Directors (2005-2011)
(Also at Virginia Beach Office)