David Gitlin focuses his practice on corporate and securities, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, technology development, and corporate finance. For more than 30 years, David has counseled foreign clients doing business in the United States and U.S. clients doing business abroad. He has structured more than 200 M&A deals, more than half of which have been cross-border transactions involving leading businesses in Finland, India, Israel and Sweden, among others. He has represented U.S. clients in the purchase or sale of businesses in more than 15 countries.
David represents both U.S. and foreign venture capital funds, and has handled numerous technology development transactions, including licensing, distribution and joint venture agreements, as well as collaborations between industry and academia.
David is recognized by Chambers USA Guide as a leading M&A attorney, and is nationally ranked as a leading Venture Capital attorney. In 2005, he was recognized by the mayors of Philadelphia and Tel Aviv for exceptional accomplishments in developing business opportunities for Israeli companies in the United States.
Prior to joining the firm, David was partner in the corporate practice of a large, multidisciplinary law firm. He also practiced at a Philadelphia-based law firm, where he chaired the corporate/securities practice group and was a member of the firm's executive committee.
Areas of Concentration
· Mergers and acquisitions, and private equity
· Venture capital and emerging technologies
· Life sciences
· Energy and clean tech
Professional & Community Involvement
· Chair, Bnai Zion Foundation, Mid-Atlantic
· Past President, America-Israel Chamber of Commerce, Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Awards & Recognition
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2007-2013
- Nationwide, Investment Funds and Venture Capital, 2012-2013
- Pennsylvania, Corporate M&A and Private Equity, 2007-2013
· Recipient, "Distinguished Humanitarian Award," Bnai Zion Foundation, 2010
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented publicly traded Finnish manufacturing company in its acquisition of a division of a large U.S. company, including the purchase of stock and assets of subsidiaries located in the United States and five foreign countries, and the coordination of closings in different countries across different calendar years.°
· Represented multinational publicly traded Swedish manufacturing company in its acquisition of a division of a Fortune 500 company, including the purchase of stock and assets of subsidiaries located in 12 different countries.°
· Represented multinational publicly traded Indian company in the acquisition of a California corporation. The transaction included particularly complex regulatory matters specific to the defense industry as well as cross-border employee benefit issues.°
· Represented Nasdaq-traded CRO in the acquisition of a Finnish corporation for a combination of cash and stock. The transaction involved complex cross-border securities issues.°
· Represented Israel-based provider of application problem resolution software in its acquisition by a large U.S. software company, structuring and negotiating a complex stock purchase agreement that incorporated the use of a novel statutory "take along" provision.°
· Represented Israel-based leading manufacturer of armored equipment in its acquisition of a Michigan-based defense contractor.°
· Represented Mid-Atlantic late-stage venture fund in an investment in a rapidly expanding provider of medical market research.°
· Represented U.S.-based biotech company in a Series B round investment that was led by a Swiss-based, global life sciences fund and a leading California-based life sciences investment firm.°
· Represented Swiss-based, global life sciences fund in a Series B investment in a biotechnology company engaged in the development of novel products for the treatment of metabolic diseases.°
· Represented U.S.-based corporation engaged in the development of alternative energy sources in a significant investment by a leading Israeli private equity fund.°
· Represented Israeli-based biotech company in a worldwide license and distribution agreement with a leading Italian pharma company.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Gitlin prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.