David Sands is a partner and co-chair of the Firm's Corporate Practice Group. David splits his time among the Firm's Los Angeles, Orange County, and Century City offices.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sands handles major strategic and institutional transactions involving corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
Mr. Sands concentrates on the representation of companies involved in the media, entertainment and technologies industries and companies involved in the creation and distribution of financial products and financial services in a wide variety of key strategic transactions, including formation planning and initial capitalization, executive compensation structures, Internet and e-commerce arrangements and institutional capital transactions and other forms of equity and debt offerings (public and private), strategic alliances and partnerships, and merger and acquisitions (including take private transactions). He has extensive experience in providing counseling and providing strategic planning for the Firm's clients.
· 2013 "Top Transactional Attorneys" in Variety's Legal Impact Report
· 2012 "Game-Changing Attorneys" in Variety's Legal Impact Report
· Featured in Variety's "Dealmakers Impact Report '08." The profile covers several of his entertainment industry matters: representing Reveille owners in its sale to Shine, Cookie Jar in its purchase of DIC and a dispute with American Greetings, as well as Endemol in its acquisition of 51 Minds and Original Media.
· Top leading Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions (Venture Capital) Lawyer, Chambers & Partners', 2007-2013
· Southern California Super Lawyer, 2009-2013
· Legal 500 US, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2008-2012
· Which Lawyer?, Corporate/M&A, Practical Law Company, 2009-2012
· PE Firms Must Tread Lightly To Cash In On Mortgage Servicing, Law360, April 9, 2013
· Dealmakers Get Busy as Banks Exit Mortgage Loan Servicing, Daily Journal, March 28, 2013
· Q&A With Sheppard Mullin's David Sands, Law360, December 13, 2011
· Strategies Leading to Successful Acquisitions, Inside the Minds:VC Portfolio Company M&A Strategies, July 2008
· The Global Credit Crunch: A MAC?, The Deal, November 14, 2007
· Sheppard Mullin Lands Entertainment Group, January 27, 2003
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Articles
· "When Is a Non-Binding Term Sheet or Letter of Intent Enforced as a Binding Contract?" September 13, 2013
· "Delaware Chancery Court Decisions Highlight That a "Crucial Difference" In Analyzing Director Liability For "Bad Faith" In the Context of an M&A Sales Process Is the Seriousness of the Bidder," April 23, 2013
· "Delaware and California Courts Split as to Whether a Reverse Triangular Merger Results In an Assignment By Operation of Law, Creating Potential Pitfalls for Delaware and Other Foreign Corporations Located in California," April 9, 2013
· "The Importance of Well-Crafted MAE Provisions: Sallie Mae in Courtroom Battle with J.C. Flowers-led Buyout Group", October 24, 2007
· "California Court Limits Partnership Non-Compete Agreements," June 1, 2006
Financial Institutions Law Blog Articles
· "California Department of Corporations States That Wholesale Account Executive Who Does Not Deal With Consumers Is Not A Mortgage Loan Originator," April 24, 2012
· "Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009 Imposes New and Uncertain Disclosure Requirements On Buyers and Assignees of Home Loans", May 29, 2009
· "New California Law Requires Additional Steps For Foreclosures", August 19, 2008
· "Federal Bank Agencies Publish Examples of Information to be Provided for Hybrid Mortgage Products", June 9, 2008
· "Federal Trade Commission and Federal Reserve Board Issue Proposed Rules on Risk-Based Pricing Notices", June 9, 2008
· "Federal Agencies Issue Final Rules On Fighting Identity Theft", February 15, 2008
· Enfoque Latino - Spring 2008
(Also at Avenue of the Stars Office)