"A pathway, identified for my clients early on, is the foundation for strong advocacy."
Areas of Focus
For more than 20 years, David has practised in the areas of commercial litigation, bankruptcy, insolvency, banking litigation, restructuring, and estate litigation. He is recognized as a "Leading Practitioner" by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
David currently serves as the chair of the Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Restructuring section of the Manitoba Bar Association, and, in May 2010, was declared a Life Bencher of the Law Society of Manitoba.
Representative Clients / Cases / Transactions
· Chartered Canadian Banks and Credit Unions / Finance Companies
· Investment Dealers
· Local, national, and international corporations in a variety of economic sectors, including agriculture
· Representation to secured, unsecured, and other interested parties in numerous insolvencies including Merchants Consolidated, Skyward Aviation, Robins Donuts, Barcode, Matrix, SAAN, Wilson Auto Electric, McNally Robinson, EQ3
· Mining & Allied Supplies (Overseas) Ltd. v. Parks
· Kellogg Brown & Root, Ltd. v. Aerotech Nelson Inc.
· Steinbach Credit Union Limited v. Hardman
· Albionex (Overseas) Limited v. Conagra Limited
· Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic Games v. Roadtrips Inc.
· Carrie Moss v. BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., 2010 MBCA 39
· Chair, Manitoba Bar Association - Bankruptcy and Insolvency Sub-Section
· Member, Canadian Insolvency Foundation
· Bencher, Law Society of Manitoba
· Life Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Manitoba Bar Association
· Member, Management Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
· Chair, Marketing Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
· Member, Articling Supervisory Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
· Executive, Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
· Executive, Canada Israel Committee
· Past President, Jocelyn House Inc.
· Past Involvement, Manitoba Theatre Centre - Audience Development
Publications / Presentations
Frequent lecturer and teacher to lawyers, students and other professionals in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Insolvency Law, and Creditors' Rights.
Co-Author & Presenter, "THEY CAN'T DO THAT...CAN THEY? Insolvency Trumps Certain Contractual Rights" ( 2011 Isaac Pitblado lectures, "Back from the Brink: Insolvency in the New Era")