David chairs the Technology, Media and Intellectual Property Practice Group and is co-chair of the Privacy and Data Security Practice Group. He concentrates a substantial portion of his practice on privacy law, data breaches, intellectual property, copyright infringement, trademark, trade secret, technology litigation, trade dress and media related litigation. David is experienced defending privacy and intellectual property cases venued throughout the United States, and has been litigating cases in federal and state courts since 1994.
David additionally represents design professionals in a variety of construction industry related claims. He has extensive experience representing architects, engineers, surveyors, land developers, commercial property owners, general contractors, subcontractors and commercial landscapers. David has defended clients in cases that involved claims for design errors and omissions and other contractual and negligence claims. Over the past fifteen years, he has tried a number of bench trials, jury trials, and arbitrations.
In 1990 David received his B.A. in political science from Denison University. He then attended Widener University School of Law and received his J.D. in 1994. His legal experience includes working for a boutique civil litigation firm in the intellectual property and e-commerce group.
•Online Ethics: Blawgs, Directory Listings, Q & A Forums & Social Media Use and Confidentiality and Data Security, National Business Institute, April 2015
•Cyber Hackers Are Everywhere! Are You Prepared? Philly I-Day, April 9, 2015
•Current Trends in Data Breach First and Third-Party Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute's Cyber & Data Risk Insurance conference, March 24, 2015
•Hot Topics in Employment, Assurex Loss Control & Claims Conference, October 22, 2014
•Cyber Technology, Data Breaches and Related E&O Trends, Claims and Coverage, moderator and speaker, 8 th Annual ExecuSummit E&O Insurance Conference, June 2014
•Hot Topics in Employment, Marshall Dennehey / AIG Seminar, Philadelphia, PA, October 10, 2013
•Employment Liability in the Cyber Age, Marshall Dennehey / AIG Employment Seminar, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2, 2013
•Cyber Liability Claims, Coverage Issues, panel speaker, 2nd Annual National Cyber Liabilities Insurance ExecuSummit, 2013
•Data Privacy Risk: Red Flags in Higher Education, ASFAA Annual Conference, 2012
•Construction Law Fundamentals, Managing Project Risk, Instructor, National Business Institute, 2008
•Safeguarding Proprietary Information in Pennsylvania, Course Planner and Instructor, National Business Institute, 2005
•Intellectual Property Law for the General Practitioner, Course Planner, Pennsylvania Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2004
• Are Hackers Secretly Stealing Your Practice? The Legal Intelligencer, Cybersecurity Supplement (page 8), June 23, 2015
• New Year's Resolutions? For Financial Firms and Advisors, Cybersecurity Should Top the List, Aon Advisor Solutions newsletter, Winter 2015
• Financial Advisor Forecast: Stormy, With Scattered Data Breaches, Financial Advisor, June 23, 2014
• How to Minimize the Threat of the Dreaded Data Breach, Catalyst, Winter 2013/2014, publication of the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry
• How to Avoid Liability for Comments Posted on Your Company's Website, Mondaq.com, 2012 and AgentsofAmerica.com, 2012
• In A Copyright Infringement Action, a Secondarily Liable Defendant Is Only Responsible For One Statutory Damage Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association Intellectual Property Newsletter, 2011
• Starbucks v. Charbucks: Substantial Similarity Is Not Required To Prove Dilution By Blurring, Intellectual Property Law Newsletter, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Summer, 2010
• Splenda Not 'Equal' To Real Sugar In Lanham Act False Advertising Suit, Co-Author, New Jersey Law Journal, 2008
• 2004, Comic Book Characters 'Spawn' Important Copyright Decisions, Pennsylvania Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Newsletter, 2004
• Defense to the Inevitable Disclosure Doctrine, the Legal Intelligencer, 2004
• Streaming Video 'Trailers' on the Internet Violate Motion Picture Copyright, Co-Author, Pennsylvania Bar Association IP Law Newsletter, 2004
Honors & Awards
•Pennsylvania Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2005
Year Joined Organization
•Phi Delta Theta
•' The Cost of Cybersecurity: Risks and Responses on the Rise, The Legal Intelligencer, February 17, 2015
Employment Liability in the Cyber Age
Seminar • May 2, 2013
Join us for this unique presentation on cutting edge employment issues. The seminar will feature a mock trial Social Media on Trial - How Social Media Affects Employers and a panel discussion Cyber Data Breach - The Latest...
Cyber & Data Risk Insurance - Spring Conference
Conference • Mar 24, 2014
David J. Shannon, co-chair of Marshall Dennehey's Privacy & Data Security Practice Group, will be a featured speaker at the ACI's Cyber & Data Risk Spring Conference, held March 24 - 25 in Chicago. The forum will focus on the right...
8th Annual National E & O Insurance ExecuSummit
Conference • Jun 17, 2014
David Shannon will discuss E & O Cyber Liability at the 8th Annual E & O Insurance ExecuSummit, to be held June 17 - 18 in Uncasville, CT. Additionally, Jeffrey Chomko will participate on a panel discussing Insurance Agents & Brokers E...
Conference • Apr 9, 2015
David Shannon will be a featured speaker at Philly I-Day 2015, to be held April 9 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Mr. Shannon and a distinguished speaker panel will present, Cyber Hackers Are Everywhere - Are YOU Prepared? Philly...
Legal Ethics: Top Challenges
Seminar • Apr 27, 2015
Event Description:This course compiles the toughest current challenges attorneys face in protecting their professional reputations. Who Should Attend?This basic-to-intermediate level ethics...
ACI 17th Advanced Global Legal and Compliance Forum on Cyber Security and Data Privacy & Protection
Conference • Oct 5, 2015
David Shannon will speak at the American Conference Institute's (ACI) 17th Advanced Global Legal and Compliance Forum on Cyber Security and Data Privacy & Protection in Houston on October 5, 2015. David and his fellow panelists will present...