David has concentrated his practice in commercial real estate transactions and land use law for over 30 years.
Areas of Concentration
· Commercial real estate
· Land use law
Professional & Community Involvement
· President, Palm Beach County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, 1988
· Member, Board of Governors of The Florida Bar's Young Lawyers Division 1989-1990
· President (2008) and Board Member, The Children's Place at Home Safe, Inc.; a facility which provides housing and centralized intervention services for children who are the victims of sexual and physical abuse, 1997-present
· Member, Board of Directors of St. George's Homeless Center, Rivera Beach, Florida, 2008-2012
· President, Palm Beach County Planning Congress, 1986
· Member, Board of Directors, South Florida Science Museum, 1983-1985
· Vice President, Board of Directors of the Ronald McDonald House of Jacksonville, 1994-1996
· Member, Board of Directors of the Cultural Council of Greater Jacksonville, 1994-1996
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2010-2014
- "Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate in West Palm Beach," 2010
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2010 and 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Recipient, "Pro Bono Award" for Nonprofit Law, Palm Beach County Legal Aid Society, 2008
· Listed, The Legal 500 United States, 2008
· Listed, Daily Business Review "South Florida's Top Dealmakers of the Year, Finance," 2005
· Listed, Leading American Attorneys
· Listed, Who's Who in America
· Listed, Who's Who in American Law
· Listed, Who's Who in the South and Southwest
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Purchasers and sellers of billions of dollars of commercial properties.
· Developers of condominium projects, including the ultra-luxury Il Lugano, in Palm Beach, Florida.
· Represented affiliates of ESG Companies in the purchase of over 27 square miles in Hendry County, Florida, and the subsequent sale of 12 square miles, with a total transaction value of over $250 million.
· National banks in over a billion dollars of commercial real estate loans; including the closing of a $145 million development and construction loan for a national bank on a large residential resort development in Palm Beach County, Florida.
· Represented the purchaser of numerous resorts and hotels, including the Holiday Isle Resort in the Florida Keys; and the historic Georgian Terrace Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia.
· Represented CSC Union Square Ltd. in a $58 million refinancing of the Union Square apartment complex in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, with Deutsche Bank Mortgage Capital.
· Land acquisition and master association documents for Mizner Country Club, Delray Beach, Florida.
· Involved in the purchase of a regional mall with a price of over $200 million.
· Represented national banks in environmental matters, including the removal of underground storage tanks, clean-up of contaminated soil, and financial reimbursement from the State of Florida.
· Buyers and sellers of multi-million dollar homes.
· Owners of various projects in land use and zoning matters before local and state governments, including obtaining a binding determination that two projects that were not DRIs.
· Parties to construction contracts, including the owner of a $19 million office tower.
· A large landowner in all office, industrial and warehouse leasing in Palm Beach and Broward Counties in Florida.
· A national bank in a successful property tax appeal, in which the assessment of property was reduced from almost $8 million to approximately $100,000.
· The City of West Palm Beach, Florida, in drafting its Concurrency Management Ordinance.
· Various landowners in condemnation matters.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Concurrency and Moratoria," 71 Florida Bar Journal 49, January 1997
· Author, "Limited Casinos Fails? Who Needs the Voters!," The Gaming Lawyer, Summer 1995
· Author, "Compromise to Avoid Disputes on Construction Projects," Jacksonville Business Journal, Commercial Real Estate, November 3, 1995
· Author, "Tenants Need Help to Negotiate a Lease," Jacksonville Business Journal, Commercial Real Estate, May 12, 1995
· Author, "With a Little Help, Appealing a Tax Assessment is Simple," Jacksonville Business Journal, July 2, 1993
· Author, "Legal Pitfalls to Avoid in Building Contracts," Area Development Sites, & Facility Planning, January 1989
· Author, "Legal Pitfalls to Avoid in Building Contracts," Building Industry News, August 1987
· Author, "Building Contract is Study in Compromise," South Florida Business Journal, August 3, 1987
· Author, "Spot Zoning: Defining an Often-Abused Term," 56 Florida Bar Journal 740, October 1982
· Author, "A Practitioner's Guide To Consistency Problems Resulting From The Local Government Comprehensive Planning Act of 1975," 55 Florida Bar Journal 803, December 1981
· Co-author, "Waiting for the Go: Concurrency, Takings and the Property Rights Act," Vol. 20, No. 2, Nova Law Review Winter 1996
· Co-author, "Spot Zoning, Contract Zoning, and Conditional Zoning," CLE of The Florida Bar, 2nd Ed., 1994
· Co-author, "Spot Zoning, Contract Zoning, and Conditional Zoning," CLE of The Florida Bar, 1987
· Co-author, "Local Government Plan Consistency and Citizen Standing; Renard in the Chicken Coop?" Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law 127, Vol. 1, No. 2, Spring 1985
· Co-author, "Purposes and Limitations of Zoning," CLE of The Florida Bar, 1982; and "Planned Unit Developments," CLE of The Florida Bar, 1982
· Co-Chair, Real Estate Restructuring Seminar, CLE International, Atlanta, Georgia, January 2010
· Co-Chair, Real Estate Restructuring Seminar, CLE International, Miami, Florida, December 2009
· Co-Chair, Real Estate Restructuring Seminar, CLE International, Orlando, Florida, March 2009
· Lecturer for The Florida Bar and others on the topics of land use law and real estate law
(Also at Boca Raton Office)