David Senter practices in the Construction Group. Since joining the firm in 1984, Mr. Senter has concentrated his practice in the areas of construction, commercial litigation and commercial collections.
David Senter's practice has included:
· Representation of developer of $550 million dollar mixed use and DOT project
· Representation of helical anchor supplier in connection with collapse of 1036 foot TV tower
· Federal court trial over structural steel supplied for the longest cable stay bridge in North America
· Representation of structural steel fabricator in claims involving airbus hanger facility
· Representation of structural steel fabricator in contract negotiations over sports stadium and energy related facilities
· Serve as national construction counsel for national building supply house which involves contract review, project advice and surety negotiations
· Prosecution of a national plumbing supply company's claim for $1.0 million owed on eight different projects in two states involving the same bankrupt utility contractor and its sureties. It also involved the separate defense of the utility contractor's $1.2 million claim for allegedly defective pipe which required the joiner of the pipe manufacturer and pipe coater. Also defended the contractor's $600,000 preference action against our client in which case contingent bond claims were asserted against the contractor's sureties.
· Representation of a structural steel fabricator with regard to construction, lien and bond issues related to its bankruptcy pending in the Southern District of New York. This involved preparing a matrix of subcontractor and supplier lien and bond rights for approximately 15 states and then analyzing the actual lien and bond rights of subcontractors and suppliers on projects in each of those states.
· General construction representation of local healthcare system which owns four hospitals and multiple other healthcare facilities in two North Carolina counties.
· Prosecution of an engineering and design firm's claim for $1.2 million due for design of a fiber optic cable system across two states. The case involved defending claims of deficient design and pursuing claims against a surety and against a contractor and owner in bankruptcy court.
Mr. Senter has made various presentations on construction and collections related topics to national and local trade and professional associations. Mr. Senter has also authored construction and collections related articles in bar and trade publications including:
· "Payment" chapter in Construction Law Casebook published by the American Bar Association's ("ABA") Forum on the Construction Industry (2009);
· Co-author of the North Carolina section in the State-by-State Guide to Contracts and Claims book published in 2006 by Aspen Law & Business;
· Alternative Dispute Resolution section of the North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook (4th ed., 2006);
· Construction Warranties and Guarantees: A Primer, The Construction Lawyer, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Winter 2003);
· "The Role Of The Subcontractor" chapter in The Fundamentals Of Construction Law published by the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry (2001);
· Co-author of the North Carolina section in the State-by-State Guide to Architect, Engineer, and Contractor Licensing book published in 1999 by Aspen Law & Business; and
· Statutory Grounds for Challenging Arbitration Awards, The Construction Lawyer, Vol. 19, No. 4 (October 1999).
· "Legal Elite" in Construction Law by Business North Carolina (2005-2009, 2011, 2012)
· Best Lawyers in America for Construction Law since 2003
· North Carolina "Super Lawyer" for Construction Law
· American Bar Association - Construction Forum, Governing Committee (2004-2007); Chair of Division 9 Steering Committee, Specialty Trade Contractors and Suppliers (2002 - 2004); Tort and Insurance Practice Section; Litigation Section; Construction Litigation Committee
· North Carolina Bar Association - Construction Law Section Council (1992-1995)
· American Arbitration Association - Panel of Arbitrators
Carolina Steel Corporation v. Palmetto Bridge Constructors, 444 F.Supp 2d 577 (D.S.C. 2006)
Remington Arms Co., Inc. v. Heritage Graphics, LLC, 630 S.E.3d 743 (2006)
Sessler v. Marsh, 144 N.C.App. 623, 551 S.E.2d 160 (2001)
S ecurity Credit Leasing, Inc. v. D.J.'s of Salisbury, Inc., 140 N.C.App 521, 537 S.E.2d 227 (2000)
Cable-La, Inc.v.Williams Communications, Inc., 104 F. Supp.2d 569 (1999)
Watson Electrical Construction Co. v. Winston-Salem, 109 N.C.App. 1994, 426 S.E.2d 420 (1993)
T.H. Blake Contracting Co., Inc. v. Sorrells, 109 N.C.App 119, 426 S.E.2d 85 (1993)
Hayes v. Evergo Telephone Co., Ltd., 100 N.C.App 474, 397 S.E.2d 325 (1990)
Ten Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year" for 2014
Best Lawyers in America has named ten Nexsen Pruet attorneys "Lawyer of the Year" for 2014.
77 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that 77 attorneys have been named to Best Lawyers in America for 2014.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Recognized by N.C. Peers; 14 Named to 2013 Super Lawyers® Lists
Fourteen Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named "Super Lawyers" in North Carolina.
Seven Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Honored as North Carolina's "Legal Elite"
Attorneys Charlie Carter, Harper Heckman, Ben Kahn, John Mabe, David Senter and William Wilcox have all been neamed to Business North Carolina's list of "Legal Elite" for 2013.
"Triad firms are using flexible floor plans to get more from their workplaces"
The Triad Business Journal showcases Nexsen Pruet's recent renovations in Greensboro in an article about office trends across North Carolina.
Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers in America®
Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named to the Best Lawyers in America® list for 2013.
North Carolina Attorneys Honored as "Legal Elite"
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that eight of its attorneys have been named to Business North Carolina magazine's "Legal Elite" list for 2012.
Eight Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named as "Lawyer of the Year" for 2012
Legal publication The Best Lawyers in America ® has named eight Nexsen Pruet attorneys to its list of the "2012 Lawyers of the Year." They are Cherie Blackburn, Henry Brown, Mark Knight, Susi McWilliams, Rick Mendoza, Ed Menzie, David Senter and Mary Shahid.
62 Attorneys Named to the 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 62 of its attorneys have been named to the 2012 edition of Best Lawyers®.
"The new normal; Economic pressures yield lasting changes for law firms"
Nexsen Pruet attorney David Senter provides insight into how the changing economy is impacting law firms.
"Legally bound: Burdened with debt, law grads troubled by lack of sure options"
The Triad Business Journal calls on David Senter, managing member of Nexsen Pruet's Greensboro office, for insight into the job outlook for new law school graduates.
Attorneys Recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers®
Nexsen Pruet is pleased to announce that nine attorneys from the firm's Greensboro and Charlotte offices have been named to the 2011 list of North Carolina Super Lawyers®. Two attorneys are named as North Carolina "Rising Stars."
North Carolina Attorneys Named to "Legal Elite" List
Harper Heckman and David Senter made the list in the Construction law category. Ben Kahn made the list for Bankruptcy law and Grainger Pierce is listed in the Employment law category.
Fifty-nine Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers in America®; Five Practice Areas Listed Among Top in the Carolinas
Nexsen Pruet is proud to announce that 59 of its attorneys have been named to the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
"Up close: David Senter"
The June 25th, 2010 edition of The Triad Business Journal profiles David Senter, managing partner of Nexsen Pruet's Greensboro office.
Charlotte and Greensboro Attorneys Recognized by North Carolina Super Lawyers®
Nine attorneys from the Charlotte and Greensboro offices of Nexsen Pruet have been named to the 2010 list of North Carolina Super Lawyers®. Four more attorneys are named as "North Carolina Rising Stars."
Eight Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among North Carolina's Super Lawyers®
Greensboro - Eight attorneys in the Greensboro office of Nexsen Pruet, PLLC have been named to the 2009 list of North Carolina Super Lawyers®.
Ten Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named as "Legal Elite"
Ten Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named in Business North Carolina magazine's "Legal Elite."
45 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Selected for Best Lawyers
Columbia, SC - Forty-five Nexsen Pruet attorneys will be included in the 2009 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. The publication also ranks Nexsen Pruet #1 in eleven practice areas in South Carolina and three in North Carolina.
Seven Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among North Carolina's "Super Lawyers"
Seven Attorneys Named Among N.C.'s "Legal Elite"
38 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Names To "The Best Lawyers in America 2008"
Thirty-eight attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2008 - including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
Seven Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among North Carolina's "Super Lawyers"
6 Attorneys Named Among NC's "Legal Elite"
Business North Carolina magazine has named six attorneys from Nexsen Pruet Adams Kleemeier's Greensboro office to its "Legal Elite" listing, an honor bestowed by the publication on less than 5 percent of the state's lawyers.
32 Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named to 2007 Edition of "Best Lawyers in America"
Thirty-two attorneys from Nexsen Pruet, LLC have been named to the 2007 edition of Best Lawyers in America - including six who have now earned the honor for 10 years or more.
Six Nexsen Pruet Attorneys Named Among North Carolina's "Legal Elite"
Business North Carolina magazine has named Six attorneys from Nexsen Pruet Adams Kleemeier to its list of the profession's "Legal Elite," an honor bestowed by the publication on just 3 percent of the state's lawyers.
Six Nexsen Pruet Lawyers Named Among North Carolina's "Super Lawyers"
Six attorneys in the Greensboro office of Nexsen Pruet Adams Kleemeier, PLLC have been named among North Carolina's "Super Lawyers" in a Law & Politics publication survey.
5 Lawyers Named Among "Legal Elite" in Business North Carolina Survey
Five Nexsen Pruet attorneys have been named among the 2005 "Legal Elite" in a survey by North Carolina Business magazine.
Construction Law Alert - Summer 2008
This Law Alert addresses the difficult issue of how to deal with price escalations in fixed price contract negotiations and claim resolution.
Construction Law Breakfast Briefing - Advanced Lien & Bond Law: What You Need to Know When it Matters
Nexsen Pruet 2008 Construction Industry Shoot
Civic & Professional Memberships
· American Arbitration Association
· American Bar Association
· North Carolina Bar Association
· Wake Forest Law School Board of Visitors