Dean Berry, Chair of the firm's Private Client Group, counsels clients on developing and implementing tax-efficient strategies for the management and transfer of private wealth, with a focus on complex U.S. and international trust and estate planning. He frequently works with attorneys, accountants, investment advisers and fiduciaries within and outside the U.S. to provide coordinated advice to clients having contacts with more than one country.
In his estate planning practice, Dean advises U.S. and foreign clients on the U.S. personal income, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax laws. Planning often includes the preparation of wills and the establishment of structures utilizing trusts, partnerships, limited liability companies and insurance. Representative clients include individuals with family connections to multiple jurisdictions, individuals married to non-U.S. citizen spouses, U.S. beneficiaries of foreign trusts, U.S. shareholders of foreign corporations and foreign persons owning U.S. assets. When necessary, he represents clients in tax audits, appeals and litigation. In the area of estate and trust administration, he advises fiduciaries and beneficiaries with respect to probate, the prudent investor standard for investments, fiduciary accountings, controversies, and related court proceedings.
Dean also advises and assists philanthropic donors in making charitable gifts through private foundations, donor-advised funds, and charitable split-interest trusts, and advises charitable organizations on corporate and tax matters.
Dean is a member of the American Bar Association (Section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law) and the New York State Bar Association (Trusts and Estates Section). He received his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He received his A.B., magna cum laude, from Harvard College, where he was selected for Phi Beta Kappa in his Junior year, an A.M. in History from the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and an LL.M. in Taxation from the New York University School of Law.
• Cadwalader Names Five to Partnership Dec 19, 2012
• Leading Private Client Attorney Dean Berry Joins Cadwalader Aug 08, 2011
Clients & Friends Memos
• FATCA May Open a Pandora's Box of Civil and Criminal Tax Liability for U.S. Persons Who Have Not Timely Paid Their U.S. Taxes or Filed Returns-Now Is a Critical Time to Consider Voluntary Disclosure Oct 22, 2012
• U.S. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act: New Reporting Obligations on Foreign Financial Institutions about U.S. Individuals' Accounts, Investments Feb 01, 2013
• FATCA May Open Pandora's Box of Civil, Criminal Tax Liability; Now Is a Critical Time to Consider Voluntary Disclosure Dec 04, 2012
• The 23rd Annual International Trust & Tax Planning Summit Sep 30, 2014
• PLI's International Estate and Tax Planning 2014 Conference Apr 22, 2014
• Legal Week - Private Client Legal Forum Americas Conference Feb 05, 2014
• International Tax And Trust Congress Mar 12, 2013
• Private Client Forum Americas 2013 Jan 30, 2013
• 47th Annual Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning Jan 14, 2013
• Private Client Forum Nov 15, 2012
• Effective Trust & Estate Planning Jul 19, 2012
• International Tax and Trust Congress 2012 Mar 21, 2012