Deirdre R. Wheatley-Liss focuses her practice in the areas of business planning, taxation, estate planning and administration, elder law for individuals, as well as representing closely held businesses and non-profit organizations. She has experience in Medicaid, retirement benefits and asset protection planning, guardianships and advocacy for the elderly.
Ms. Wheatley-Liss' continuous pursuit of knowledge distinguishes her from other practitioners in her fields. She has an LL.M in Taxation, an advanced legal degree. She is also accredited as a Certified Elder Law Attorney, by the American Bar Association approved National Elder Law Foundation, one of fewer than 75 attorneys in New Jersey with this credential.
In order to educate both the public and the legal community about issues relating to her areas of practice, Ms. Wheatley-Liss is a frequent lecturer to professionals and the public, and author of legal and consumer-oriented articles. She blogs at New Jersey Estate Planning & Elder Law Blog, a leading commentary on developments in tax law, estate planning, estate administration, elder law and business law. Ms. Wheatley-Liss is the author of the published book Plan Your Own Estate and working on a second book about Elder Law and Asset Protection Planning.
Ms. Wheatley-Liss is active in the local business community as a member of the Board of Directors of the Morris County Chamber of Commerce chair at the Morris Members Council, and active member of the Women in Business Committee. She serves on the Women's Advisory Counsel to the Morris County Freeholders and Chairs the Elder Law Committee of the Morris County Bar Association. She acts as a legal advisor to a number of local non-profit organizations created to support various populations in Morris County.
•Deirdre Wheatley-Liss Nominated as a Director of the Estate Planning Council of Northern New Jersey
•Porzio Principal Deirdre Wheatley-Liss Honored With Tri-County Scholarship Fund Women of Achievement Award
Honors and Awards
•Tri-County Scholarship Fund - Women of Achievement Award - 2014, 2015
•Boy Scouts of America 2011 Tribute to Women
•Recognized on New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars List - 2009, 2010
•NJ BIZ Top 50 Women in Business - 2009
•NJ BIZ Top Forty under 40 - 2008
Prior Relevent Experience
•Fein Such Law Group, Parsippany, New Jersey, Shareholder
•Power, Weiss & Kurnit, LLP, Livingston, New Jersey, Associate
•Prudential Financial, Business Consultant-Estate Planning, Business Planning and Retirement Planning
• Tax Update 2014, Porzio Tax Update, December 5, 2014.
•Quoted in Four Things You Should Know About Yor Will, Premier Reverse Mortgage, October 2014.
• Tax Update 2013, Porzio Tax Update, January 21, 2013.
•New Jersey Estate Planning & Elder Law Blog, 2005 - present.
•Quoted in Planning for the future may minimize estate tax liability, NJBIZ, October 2011.
•Quoted in Financial Candor Makes Second Marriages Sweeter, Educational Employees Credit Union - Home & Family Finance Resource Center, December 2010.
•Quoted in Business Hopes for a Balanced High Court, NJBIZ, May 10, 2010.
• No Such Thing as Free Money, Business Edge, April 2010.
•Quoted in Despite its Expiration, Don't Lose Sight of Federal Estate Tax, NJBIZ, January 2010.
•Quoted in Employers Craft 'Stay-Home' Policies, The Daily Record, October 2009.
•Quoted in How to Talk Money With Mom and Dad, Money, September 2009.
• Client Handout: Estate Plan Review Checklist, New Jersey Lawyer, October 2008.
•Quoted in Survival Guide - Keys to Successful Estate Planning, Consumer Digest, October 2008.
• An Elder Law Attorney Can Help You and Your Loved Ones Prepare for the Future, Garden State Woman, May 2008.
• Family Care Contracts, inRE, April 2008.
•Quoted in My Alzheimer's Dad, Town and Country, November 2007.
• Recent Trends in Trust and Estates, New Jersey Bar Association Probate and Real Property Section Newsletter, Winter 1999.
• Current Trends Employment Law Issues and Tax - 2015, CPE Seminar, Paramus, NJ, July 27, 2015.
• Intellectual Property Identification, Protection and Taxation, CPE Seminar, Somerset, NJ, July 22, 2015.
• Income Tax Planning is the New Estate Planning, CPE Seminar, Ridgewood, NJ, July 13, 2015.
• Shaping Your Family's Future with Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts Plus Other Tools, Estate and Planned Giving Seminar, Montclair State University, June 17, 2015.
• Current Trends Employment Law Issues and Tax - 2015 Update, Wall Township, NJ, May 20, 2015.
• Intellectual Property - Hot Topics and Tax Issues in Patent, Trademark and Copyright, Hamilton, NJ, May 18, 2015.
• What Your Lawyer Wishes That You Knew, The Alternative Board NJ, Pine Brook, NJ, April 17, 2015.
• The Basics on Charter Schools and Tax, 7th Annual New Jersey Charter Schools Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, March 30, 2015.
• Good Morning, Morris! Breakfast with Carl Gould, Morris County Chamber of Commerce, Florham Park, NJ, February 13, 2015.
• Employment Law: Employers Guide to the Law and Taxes, CPE seminar, East Brunswick, NJ, January 22, 2015.
• Current Trends and Approaches in Elder Care Law, CPE seminar, Wall, NJ, October 28, 2014.
• Planned Giving, Charitable Remainder Trusts, and Strategies to Save Taxes While Earning Income, Trustees and Patrons of Hunterdon Art Museum, NJ, May 19, 2014, October 20, 2014.
• Current Issues, Trends and Approaches in Elder Law Taxation, CPE Program, Wall, NJ, October 18, 2014.
• Monetize your Ownership - Exiting is a Strategy, The Alternative Board, Randolph, NJ, October 10, 2014.
• Evaluating Your Estate Plan - 10 Questions to Ask, Bayer, Whippany, NJ September 23, 2014.
• Business Divorce - The Issues, The Drama, The Tax, Hamilton, NJ, November 18, 2014; Iselin, NJ, November 17, 2014 and Randolph, NJ, August 6, 2014.
• Failing to Make a Plan - Intestacy, Cohn Reznick, Roseland, NJ, July 24, 2014.
• M&A Transactions for Closely Held Businesses: Structure and Taxation, Kingston, NJ, June 17, 2014.
• The New Estate Planning - Toss Out the Old Playbook, National Conference of CPA's, Maywood, NJ, June 9, 2014.
• Navigating Business Bankruptcy, Morristown, NJ, May 19, 2014.
• Top 10 Questions to Ask About Your Estate Plan, Beacon Trust, Morristown, NJ, May 6, 2014.
• Elder Law Trends and Taxation, New Jersey Society of CPA's, Paterson, NJ, April 24, 2014.
• Using Trusts to Escape the State Tax Trap: DING's, NING's and Other Important Things, Financial Planning Association of NJ, Iselin, New Jersey, April 23, 2014.
• Business Infrastructure for the Restauranteur, International Culinary Center, New York, NY, March 19, 2014.
• Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone, Morris County Chamber of Commerce (MCCC) Women in Business, Morristown, NJ, March 7, 2014.
• You've Worked Hard for Your Wealth - Protect It, Schwab Private Client Group, Morristown, NJ, February 24, 2014.
•Moderator and Presenter, Estate Planning Basics, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, New Brunswick, NJ, February 15, 2014.
• Estate Planning is Dead - Basis Planning is the New Wealth Preservation Planning, Hamilton, NJ, Somerset, NJ, February 10-11, 2014.
• Trust Decanting - Income tax planning- Basis Step up Planning- Asset Protection Planning, Somerset, NJ, January 22, 2014.
• You Worked Hart for Your Assets - Protect Them, Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center, New Brunswick, NJ December 6, 2013.
• Learn How too Protect Your Assets - Asset Protection Planning Franciscan Oaks, Denville, NJ, October 30, 2013.
• Elder Law Taxation, CPE Seminar, 1st Constitution Bank, Hamilton, NJ, July 31, 2013.
• Elder Care Law and Asset Protection, Porzio Bromberg & Newman, Morristown, NJ, July 24, 2013.
•“Estate Planning and Trusts, ” podcast by the Baron Financial Group, July 2013.
• Current Issues and Trends in Elder Law, Bergen County Section NJSCPA, June 10, 2013.
• Put Your Mind At Ease, Learn How To Protect Your Assets, Franciscan Oaks, May 30, 2013.
• Estate Planning, 3.8% Medicare Tax, Elder Law, Lakeland Bank, May 21, 2013.
• Guardianship: Safeguarding Children with Special Needs, The Calais School, Whippany, NJ, October 2012.
• 10 Points to Test Your Business Infrastructure, The Alternative Board, Morristown, NJ, April 2012.
• Special Estate Plan for Special Needs Children, The Calais School, Whippany, NJ, July 2011.
• The Art of Public Speaking - 5 Reasons Why Speakers Miss Their Marks, Morris County Chamber of Commerce, Florham Park, NJ, March 2011.
• Social Media for Lawyers, New Jersey State Bar Association 12th Annual Elder Law Section Retreat, Cape May, NJ, June 2010.
• Estate Planning, Morris County Retirees Education Association, Inc., Mountain Lakes, NJ, March 2010.
• Long Term Care, Brokerage Northeast Seminar, Clark, NJ, October 2009.
• Make a Will Come to Life, NJICLE Will and Probate Seminar, Morristown, NJ, October 2009.
• New Jersey Will Drafting and Probate Practice, NJICLE Skills and Methods Course, Piscataway, NJ, January 2009.
• Estate Administration Basics, NJICLE Seminar, Whippany, NJ, May and September 2008.
• Let's Write a Will!, NJICLE Seminar, Fairfield, NJ, May 2008.