Devin handles a broad range of commercial litigation and labor & employment matters, ranging from antitrust and pricing disputes to collective bargaining.
Devin practices in the firm's Commercial Litigation group and has litigated many types of commercial matters, ranging from contract disputes and business torts to pricing and antitrust matters. Devin also represents employers, focusing on labor & employment litigation and advice, collective bargaining matters, and employee benefit and ERISA litigation. His clients include manufacturers, service providers, banks, and insurance companies. He is a contributing author to Burr's Non-Compete and Trade Secrets Law Blog.
Devin, an undergraduate German and political science major who studied in Germany and then worked in Belgium prior to law school, has also developed a niche practice advising foreign-owned businesses on litigation in American courts and on American labor laws.
Devin received his B.A., summa cum laude, from Amherst College and his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he served as Executive Editor of the Virginia Journal of International Law. Devin is admitted to practice in Alabama and Ohio, in the United States District Courts for the Middle, Northern, and Southern District of Alabama and for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, and in the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Sixth, and Eleventh Circuits.
• Business Liability Insurance Answer Book 2011-12, October 2011 (co-author Betsy P. Collins)
• "State Price Discrimination Statutes," ABA Price Discrimination Handbook, forthcoming 2012 (co-author Mark M. Lawson)
• "Recent Price Discrimination Cases and 'Plausible' Pleading Under Twombly and Iqbal," The Price Point, Winter 2012 (co-author Mark M. Lawson)
• "Audi of Smithtown, Inc. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. and the New York Dealer Act," The Price Point, Fall 2011 (co-author Mark M. Lawson)
• "Geographic Market Definition in Secondary-Line Price Discrimination Cases," The Price Point Newsletter, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Fall 2009 (co-author Mark M. Lawson)
• "State Motor Fuel Marketing Acts: Potential Traps for Unwary Antitrust Practitioners?" The Price Point Newsletter, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Winter 2009 (co-author Mark M. Lawson)
• "Overview of State Price Discrimination Statutes," ABA Antitrust Section, Pricing Conduct Committee, Telephonic Town Hall, June 2011 (co-presenter Mark Lawson)
• "Recent Amendments to the Federal and Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure," Birmingham Legal Secretaries Association, March 2010
• "Americans with Disabilities Act: A New Law for the New Year," Alabama-Germany Partnership, Human Resource Summit, February 2009
American Bar Association
Alabama State Bar
Birmingham Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Alabama-Germany Partnership, Board of Directors
Alabama Wildlife Center, Junior Board