Dirk Beckwith practices in the areas of commercial litigation, transportation and logistics, construction, and insurance defense. He represents clients in state and federal courts across Michigan and has successfully argued appeals in both Michigan and U.S. Appellate Courts. He also serves as a mediator, case evaluator in Michigan Circuit and District Courts, and is an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association.
Known for his responsiveness and for immersing himself in understanding his clients' business, Dirk has a wealth of experience representing transportation companies, motor carriers and railroads. He has litigated cases involving the interpretation of transportation contracts, the application of tariffs, and shipments moved pursuant to bills of lading. He also vigorously defends trucking companies in cargo claim litigation and against claims for personal injury. He was recently involved in several landmark decisions for the trucking and railroad industries. In addition, he has handled both regulatory and administrative matters before the FMCSA and STB for those engaged in the transportation industry.
He also has significant success handling Uniform Commercial Code claims as well as representing owners, general contractors, and suppliers in disputes arising out of construction contracts.
Dirk is a Past President of the Transportation Lawyers Association and currently serves as a voting Past President for TLA. Dirk previously served as a Regional Vice President of the Association for Transportation Law Professionals. He is also a member of the Trucking Insurance Defense Association and the Defense Research Institute. He actively participates in each of these associations, as well as the Transportation Loss Prevention and Security Association and the Conference of Freight Counsel. Dirk is a frequent speaker and attendee at all of these organizations' meetings and attends DRI trucking seminars, and TIDA sponsored events, as well.
• 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
• 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America Roster, August 21, 2015
• 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 5, 2014
• 45 Foster Swift attorneys named to 2015 Best Lawyers in America roster, August 19, 2014
• Thirty-one Foster Swift Attorneys included in Super Lawyers for 2013, September 6, 2013
• Forty-five Foster Swift Attorneys included in Best Lawyers in America, August 15, 2013
• Foster Swift attorneys selected as Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 6, 2012
• What Brokers, Carriers and Shippers Have to Know About the New Federal Legislation MAP-21, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association National Conference, April 21, 2015
• Rapid Response Teams and On Site Investigations: The Front Line Defense, American Conference Institute, March 25, 2015
• Road Laws for Farmers, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 28-29, 2015
• Cargo Claims, American Conference Institute's 4th National Forum, March 31, 2014
• Liability for a Shipment of Food or Pharmaceuticals that Is or May Be Contaminated or Adulterated, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association Annual Conference, April 23, 2013
• Preparing and Presenting Company Representatives and Truck Drivers for Depositions: How to Ensure that Testimony Does Not Inadvertently Sink Your Case, American Conference Institute's 3rd Annual Forum on Defending and Managing Trucking Litigation, November 29, 2012
• Court of Appeals Holds Owner Can be Held Liable for Negligence Because of Defective Front-End Loader, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, August 21, 2014
• Frost Law: Are you complying with Spring Weight Restrictions?, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, April 25, 2014
• Spring Brings Weight Restrictions on Michigan Roads, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, March 14, 2014
• When Trucks Spill Their Load, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, January 16, 2014
• Smooth Sailing While on Michigan Highways, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, December 17, 2013
• Top 10 Things to Do When You Are Involved In a Motor Vehicle Accident, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, November 26, 2013
Honors & Recognitions
AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America 2013-2017 (Construction Law)
Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2015 (Business Litigation)
Distinguished Service Award, Transportation Lawyers Association, 2016
Exemplary Service Award, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 2007