Dominica C. Anderson, managing partner of Duane Morris' Las Vegas office, practices in both the firm's Las Vegas and San Francisco offices. She is a member of the firm's governing Partners Board and of the Duane Morris Women's Initiative Steering Committee.
Ms. Anderson focuses her practice on commercial litigation and insurance coverage. Her experience encompasses all aspects of complexlitigation, including securities; antitrust; contract disputes such as unfair competition; business interference; false advertising; defamation; e-commerce and intellectual property issues; domain name disputes; and trademark, trade secrets and copyright issues. She also has litigated construction, negligence, strict liability and product liability cases.
Ms. Anderson also represents insurers in high-stake coverage litigation including coverage for mass torts and environmental pollution claims, as well as construction defects, and claims for a variety of toxic torts and health hazards, including asbestos, chemical and petrochemical exposures, electromagnetic fields, agricultural products, and drugs and medical devices. She has represented clients as trial and appellate counsel in numerous significant matters.
A member of the American Bar Association, the Clark County Bar Association and the National Association of Women Lawyers. Ms. Anderson is a 1986 cum laude graduate of the University of San Francisco Law School and a graduate, with high honors, of the University of California at Berkeley, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.
· Affirmance by California Court of Appeal of ground-breaking rulings limiting rights to Cumis counsel, as well as of money judgment against policyholder for reimbursement of Cumis fees that had been paid by insurer.
· On behalf of national insurers, defended and settled alleged $3 billion pollution case that arose, in part, from mining operations.
· Defended and settled large fraud suit brought against international insurers.
· Opposed a preliminary injunction, thereby allowing the majority owners of an Indian airline to proceed with the scheduled sale of the airline.
· On behalf of digital cable television and telecommunications provider pursued Lanham Act suit.
· On behalf of Swiss financial institutions, defended securities violation suit in federal court involving alleged corporate takeover of oil well company.
· Defended and obtained a dismissal of antitrust and conspiracy action in federal court on behalf of an international distributor of infrastructure, energy and water works company.
· On behalf of large international casino, defended breach of contract action and prosecuted multimillion-dollar construction defect litigation arising out of large show room in casino.
· Won subrogation trial requiring another insurer to tender to our client the full limits of its policy for its portion of the settlement of an underlying wrongful death action.
· Defended to a settlement large coverage action brought by state utilities company for coverage relating to pollution from various chemicals and waste on behalf of international insurer.
· On behalf of international business owner, prosecuted defamation suit.
· On behalf of international casino and resort, defended and secured a dismissal of a large breach of contract action arising out of procurement of new development and won multiple sanction awards against the plaintiff.
· Defended to a settlement a stockholder dispute action in federal court on behalf of start-up alternative fuel company.
· In federal court, won motion for summary judgment to recover monies fronted by insurer on behalf of its insured in settlement of underlying suit on behalf of a national insurer.
· Prosecuted an action arising out of a wrongful death action on the permissive user issue, resulting in a settlement that the client, a national insurer, found favorable.
· On behalf of international insurer, successfully appealed an asbestos bankruptcy 524(g) action involving alleged billions of dollars.
· On behalf of international insurer, defended a Wellington Arbitration involving non-products allegations, resulting in a favorable ruling on motion for summary judgment.
· Defended large coverage actions brought by petrochemical and oil companies arising out of air and ground pollution from solvents, chemicals, pesticides, and waste involving both property damage and bodily injuries.
· Defended to a settlement a large mechanics lien arising out of a large casino show room on behalf of construction company.
· Defended multiple D&O coverage matters arising out of non-profit policies on behalf of a national insurer.
· On behalf of national insurers, prosecuted multiple actions against co-insurers for contribution.
· Duane Morris LLP
- Managing Partner, Las Vegas, 2006 - present
- Partner, 2006-present
- Partners Board, 2010-present
- Steering Committee, Women's Initiative, 2006-present
· Hancock Rothert & Bunshoft LLP
- Managing Partner, Las Vegas, 2005
- Partner, 1994-2005
- Associate, 1986 - 1994
· San Francisco City Attorney's Office
- Law Clerk, 1983-1985
· American Bar Association
- Insurance Practice Section
-- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
--- Co-Chair, CGL Subcommittee, 2008-2010
---- Co-Chair, Practice & Business Development Subcommittee, 2011
· California Bar Association
- Member, Rules & Legislation Committee
· Clark County Bar Association
· National Association of Women Lawyers
· Steering Committee, Duane Morris Women's Initiative
· Duane Morris Partners Board
· Commissioner Pro Tem, San Francisco Small Claims Court
Honors and Awards
· Listed in VEGAS INC's Top Lawyers: The Best of the Best in Southern Nevada, 2013
· Listed in The Top Women Attorneys in Northern California, 2012
· California Super Lawyer, 2004-2013
· Recipient of the Virginia S. Mueller Outstanding Member Award from the National Association of Women Lawyers, 2011
· Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
· AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Advisors
Civic and Charitable Activities
· Commissioner Pro Tem, San Francisco Small Claims Court
Publications and Speaking Engagements
· "Docket Science," San Francisco/Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 28, 2009
· "Federal District Court in Nevada Rules Insurer Has Right to Reimbursement for Settlement Monies Paid for Non-Covered Damages," Duane Morris Alert, June 4, 2008
· "The Asbestos Litigation System in the San Francisco Bay Area: A Paradigm of the National Asbestos Litigation Crisis," The Santa Clara Law Review, December 2004
· "Case Management and Other Pretrial Considerations: The Insurer's Perspective: Environmental Insurance Coverage Claims," Practising Law Institute, 1995
Selected Speaking Engagements
· Speaker, "The Perils of Claims Involving Multiple Insureds," Annual Physician Insurers Association of America 2012 Medical Liability Conference, Washington, D.C., May 10, 2012
· Speaker, "Making Rain in the Desert: From Movies to Reality," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tuscon, Arizona, March 1, 2012
· Speaker, "The Insurability of Punitive Damages," Physician Insurers Association of America Legal Workshop, San Francisco, November 13, 2008
· Speaker, "Confronting Catastrophe: Pandemics, Hurricanes, Terrorists - Oh My!" ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, February 28, 2008
· Speaker, "Preservation of Evidence: Where We Are and Where We're Going," Association of California Insurance Companies, XVII General Counsel Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, July 19-21, 2006
· Interviewed on Sky Radio, broadcast on United Airlines and American Airlines Business Hour, The Asbestos Bankruptcy Crisis, 2006
· Speaker, "The Next Generation of Asbestos Bankruptcies," ACI's 7th National Litigating, Settling and Managing Asbestos Claims Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 15-16, 2006
· Speaker, "Running the Numbers: Effectively Preparing, Presenting or Attacking the Insured's Damages Case," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, March 2-4, 2006
· Moderator, "Asbestos Litigation 2004: California and Its Impact on National Litigation," University of San Francisco, San Francisco, California, May 7, 2004
· Speaker, "How the London Insurance Market Works," Mealey's Conference, West Palm Beach, Florida, November 2001
· Moderator, "Fundamental of Insurance Litigation," CEB Conference, San Francisco, California, April 2001
(Also at Las Vegas, Nevada Office)