- Securities Law
- Corporate / Commercial and Mergers & Acquisitions
|Contact Info||Telephone: 604.643.6472|
|University ||University of Calgary, B.A., English, 1986; University of Toronto, M.A., English, 1987|
|Law School||University of Toronto Law School, LL.B., 1990|
|Admitted||1992, Ontario; 1993, British Columbia|
Don Collie is a partner practising in the areas of Securities Law, Corporate Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions and related corporate and commercial transactions. In addition to acting for junior companies listed on the TSX Venture Exchange, Don also has extensive experience acting for senior companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ National Market. He is recognized in the publication Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 in the area of Securities Law.
Don also has significant expertise and experience in mining law. His experience includes negotiating and drafting mining option and joint venture agreements, confidentiality agreements, royalty agreements, acquisitions and dispositions of mineral properties, claim staking and other mineral property disputes, permitting and environmental assessment matters, mineral title opinions, and advising on compliance with disclosure requirements for mineral projects (particularly with respect to National Instrument 43-101 "Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects").
In over 20 years of practice, Don has worked on a wide variety of transactions, including:
• Public financings (including IPOs)
• Private placement financings, including flow-through share and special warrant transactions
• Takeover bids
• Drafting and implementing shareholder rights plans ("poison pills")
• Acting for listed companies with respect to reverse takeovers, capital pool company transactions, property and asset acquisitions and changes of business
• Cross-border acquisitions and financings
• Amalgamations and plans of arrangement
• Advising on compliance with Multilateral Instrument 61-101 in connection with related-party transactions and business combinations
• Advising on stock option and other share compensation arrangements, including amendments to plans and option re-pricings
• Making exemption applications to the securities regulatory authorities
• Acting for vendors and purchasers in private asset and share sales
• Best Lawyers in Canada (Securities Law), 2014
• Ranked as a leading lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
• Canadian Bar Association, Securities and Business Law Subsections
• Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
• Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AME BC)
• Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
• Adjunct professor, Mining Law, University of British Columbia Faculty of Law
• British Columbia Securities Commission Securities Law Advisory Committee, 2005-2011.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
One More Time: Feds Propose New Cooperative National Securities Regulator
Derrick K. Auch,Robert N. Black,Sarah Bode,Don Collie, October 14, 2013
Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced on September 19, 2013 that a deal between the federal government, Ontario and British Columbia has been struck to create a single cooperative national capital markets regulatory system whereby the federal government and those provinces that...
OSC Finds Unacceptable Level of Compliance with Technical Reports Filed by Mining Issuers
Robert N. Black,Robert N. Black,Sarah Bode,Sarah Bode,Don Collie,Don Collie, July 22, 2013
Staff of the Ontario Securities Commission recently conducted a review of Technical Reports filed in Ontario by mining issuers under National Instrument 43-101 Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects and Form 43-101F1 Technical Reports. OSC Staff Notice 43-705 Report on Staff’s Review of...
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#188 in weekly profile views out of 8,963 lawyers in Vancouver, British Columbia|
|#55,930 in weekly profile views out of 1,505,564 total lawyers Overall|