- Securities Law
- Corporate / Commercial and Mergers & Acquisitions
|Contact Info||Telephone: 604.643.6472|
|University ||University of Calgary, B.A., English, 1986; University of Toronto, M.A., English, 1987|
|Law School||University of Toronto Law School, LL.B., 1990|
|Admitted||1992, Ontario; 1993, British Columbia|
Don Collie is a partner practising in the areas of Securities Law, Corporate Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions and related corporate and commercial transactions. In addition to acting for junior companies listed on the TSX Venture Exchange, Don also has extensive experience acting for senior companies listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ National Market. He is recognized in the publication Best Lawyers in Canada 2014 in the area of Securities Law.
Don also has significant expertise and experience in mining law. His experience includes negotiating and drafting mining option and joint venture agreements, confidentiality agreements, royalty agreements, acquisitions and dispositions of mineral properties, claim staking and other mineral property disputes, permitting and environmental assessment matters, mineral title opinions, and advising on compliance with disclosure requirements for mineral projects (particularly with respect to National Instrument 43-101 "Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects").
In over 20 years of practice, Don has worked on a wide variety of transactions, including:
• Public financings (including IPOs)
• Private placement financings, including flow-through share and special warrant transactions
• Takeover bids
• Drafting and implementing shareholder rights plans ("poison pills")
• Acting for listed companies with respect to reverse takeovers, capital pool company transactions, property and asset acquisitions and changes of business
• Cross-border acquisitions and financings
• Amalgamations and plans of arrangement
• Advising on compliance with Multilateral Instrument 61-101 in connection with related-party transactions and business combinations
• Advising on stock option and other share compensation arrangements, including amendments to plans and option re-pricings
• Making exemption applications to the securities regulatory authorities
• Acting for vendors and purchasers in private asset and share sales
• Best Lawyers in Canada (Securities Law), 2014
• Ranked as a leading lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
• Canadian Bar Association, Securities and Business Law Subsections
• Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
• Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AME BC)
• Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
• Adjunct professor, Mining Law, University of British Columbia Faculty of Law
• British Columbia Securities Commission Securities Law Advisory Committee, 2005-2011.
Documents by this lawyer on Martindale.com
Is Equity Crowdfunding Finally Here in Canada?
Robert N. Black,Don Collie,Marek Lorenc,Ted Maduri, March 28, 2014
Provincial securities regulators across Canada have given emerging companies hope that an existing gap in their ability to raise capital will soon be filled. Following a broad review of the exempt market, the Ontario Securities Commission announced plans on March 20, 2014 for an exemption from...
View Ratings & Reviews
|Profile Visibility |
|#648 in weekly profile views out of 6,962 lawyers in Vancouver, British Columbia|
|#131,925 in weekly profile views out of 1,530,397 total lawyers Overall|