Donald Wilson has extensive experience in civil and administrative litigation at the hearing level, trial and appellate levels, with a particular interest in labour, employment, environmental, administrative, intellectual property, insurance and products liability litigation.
Mr. Wilson has done extensive work in the employment area including a number of Canada Labour Code and Alberta and Canadian human rights hearings. He has provided opinions and proactive employment advice to employers. He has acted as counsel of record in a number of trials (and appeals) on employment issues including breaches of known safety rules, the application and enforceability of alcohol and drug policies in an industrial context, both at trial before the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench and in a series of labour arbitration cases. He has also litigated the nature and extent of an employer's obligation to accommodate disabled workers.
Mr. Wilson has also been fortunate to consult with solicitors and other in-house lawyers to develop a variety of proactive methods to assist clients in avoiding litigation. In this process, he has prepared a variety of complex risk analyses for corporate clients.
His practice has also been devoted to a wide range of complex, commercial litigation matters for clients such as North America's largest integrated oil company, a major oil sands mining conglomerate, one of the largest multinational entertainment conglomerates in the world, two large heavy equipment distributors and a number of interprovincial trucking companies.
In recent years, Mr. Wilson has done extensive work in the field of Administrative Law including a variety of appearances before various statutory boards and tribunals in the province of Alberta and elsewhere. He has provided legal advice on environmental and land use matters to a variety of individual and corporations. He has also appeared as counsel for the Minister of the Environment in Alberta in a number of applications in the nature of Judicial Review before the Court of Queen's Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal. In this regard, he has participated in a series of cases which have successfully established a very high standard of review for ministerial decisions under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act.
His practice also includes a wide range of civil litigation matters including a variety of complex environmental litigation matters for large self-insured multinational corporations, product liability defence work and arson and fire investigation litigation in the province of Alberta and in the Northwest Territories.
Mr. Wilson has particular interest in and considerable experience with pre-trial and emergent injunctive relief matters acting for both applicants and respondents.
· Provincial Court of Alberta
· Alberta Court of Queen's Bench
· Alberta Court of Appeal
· Federal Court - Trial Division
· Alberta Labour Relations Board
· Canadian Labour Code Hearings
· Numerous administrative tribunals and boards throughout the province of Alberta and elsewhere in Canada
· Coached various levels of youth soccer for 11 years
· Coached various levels of youth hockey for 5 years
· Coached various levels of youth basketball for 6 years
· Previously served as secretary/treasurer, Edmonton Handball League
· Previously served as floor hockey coordinator, Alberta Special Olympics
· Member, Law Society of Alberta
· Member, Canadian Bar Association
· Member, Edmonton Bar Association
· Member, Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association