Doug Van Gessel is a partner in the Real Estate Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Van Gessel represents clients in all aspects of commercial real estate, with principal focuses on (i) development and structuring of major projects, (ii) creative financial transactions, including construction, term and mezzanine debt, joint ventures and synthetic lease financing, (iii) acquisitions and dispositions, (iv) workouts and restructurings of real estate-secured loans and equity investments, (v) office, industrial and retail leasing and subleasing, and (vi) negotiation of architectural, construction, management and consulting agreements.
Mr. Van Gessel is actively involved in pro bono and community service activities in the San Francisco Bay Area and writes and speaks on numerous real estate topics to various trade and bar organizations.
Real Estate Development
Represented a Fortune 500 company in the development of a 15 million square foot campus facility, including the acquisition, financing, design and construction of the project.
Represented a Fortune 100 company in the development of a 2.5 million square foot campus facility in the Silicon Valley, including structuring of a sophisticated alternative financing strategy.
Represented a national developer in the purchase, permitting, financing and development of a 2,000 acre mixed use retail, hotel, and residential project in Dublin, California.
Represented a national hotel developer in purchasing and repositioning a series of luxury hotels throughout the Western United States.
Represented a prominent Silicon Valley developer in the purchase, entitlement, subdivision, financing and build out of a 1.7 million square foot corporate campus.
Represented a large institutional developer in the purchase and redevelopment of a 600 room hotel in Southern California.
Purchase and Sales
Mr. Van Gessel has represented clients in more than $12 billion worth of real estate purchase and sale transactions for office, retail, hotel, industrial multi-family, and medical office and assisted care facilities, including many sophisticated alternative transactions, such as synthetic leases, ground leases, sale leaseback, tenancy in common and various joint venture arrangements. Most notably, he represented clietns on the following projects:
· The sale of a portfolio of 14 hotels for over $800 million
· The purchase of a 1,000,000 square foot corporate campus in Silicon Valley
· The purchase of a 800,000 square foot corporate campus in Raleigh, North Carolina
· The sale of a 650,000 square foot shopping center in the East Bay
· The purchase of a 2,000,000 square foot corporate campus in the Waltham, Massachusetts area.
Distressed Loan Sales
Represented a large institutional investor in purchasing a $125 million portfolio of non-performing secured and unsecured debt
Represented a national bank in the purchase of: 1) a $235 million portfolio of REO property and distressed secured debt, and 2) a $55 million real estate secured debt portfolio
Represented a pension fund advisor in the purchase of $70 million in debt secured by multi-family properties
Represented a large institutional investor in purchasing a $120 million portfolio of distressed loan secured by retail properties
Represented a large bank in the sale of over $800 million in REO property and secured and unsecured debt
Represented a local entertainment company in the purchase of a note secured by a retail shopping center
Mr. Van Gessel has represented clients in the leasing of over 50 million square feet of office, retail and industrial space in almost 25 years worth of transactions. Most recently, in 2011 he handled the following notable transactions.
A lease of 718,000 square feet of office space to Google
A lease of over 500,000 square feet of office space to Hewlett-Packard
A lease of over 220,000 square feet of office space to Microsoft
A lease of over 220,000 square feet of office space to Motorola Mobility
A lease of over 200,000 square feet of office space to Synopsis
A lease of 55,000 square feet of retail space to Dick's Sporting Goods
Design and Construction
Mr. Van Gessel has represented three different Fortune 100 companies in all of their design and construction contracts for more than 15 years. He also represents a large data warehouse REIT in all of their nationwide design and construction contracts - more than 70 each year. He has represented clients on a wide variety of projects: from hotels and warehouses to shopping centers - even a rocket launching pad.
Mr. Van Gessel has represrented many non-profit organizations, including AIDS and homeless shelters, artistic and educational organizations, churches, theatres and community outreach programs. He was a member of the St. Marks School (San Rafael, CA) building committee for many years, and a vestry member and co-chair of the building committee for Saint John's Episcopal Church (Ross, CA) from 2002 through 2004.
· Nation's Top 10 Real Estate Lawyers, United States Lawyer Rankings, 2013
· Legal 500, 2012
· Northern California Super Lawyers, San Francisco Magazine, 2010-2013
· Top Real Estate Deals, Daily Journal, 2011
· Purchase and Sale of Distressed Real Estate-Secured Loans, Real Estate Finance, April 1, 2009
· Real Estate Loan Workouts, Bloomberg Law Reports, April 1, 2009
· Real Estate-Secured Loan Workouts: The Borrower's View, Journal of Bankruptcy Law, April 1, 2009
· Subleasing Concerns, The Marin Lawyer, March 2009
· Workout Strategies For Landlords and Tenants, The Marin Lawyer, March 2009
· Biotechnology Leasing Issues, February 20, 2009
· Purchase and Sale of Distressed Real Estate-Secured Loans, February 2009
· Subleasing Concerns, February 1, 2009
· Strategic Leasing for Emerging Companies: Achieving Agility in Today's Real Estate Market, May 23, 2013, Hosted by Sheppard Mullin & ACC SFBA
· Space Requirements for Start-Up Companies, December 17, 2009, Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinars