Douglas A. Cherry is Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law. His practice focuses on intellectual property (patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition) consulting, acquisition, licensing and litigation.
Doug also focuses on computer and technology law, business law and entertainment law, including consulting clients and attorneys in electronic discovery issues, domain name disputes, E-commerce agreements, technology implementation transactions, software performance disputes, E-mail privacy, identity theft, consulting and employment agreements, and technology licensing.
Doug has extensive litigation and mediation experience involving high profile, corporate technology cases, patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret litigation. He has counseled clients in the areas of trademark selection, registration and protection and copyright registration.
Doug has experience within many industries including technology, healthcare, law enforcement, and manufacturing. His clients include corporations, municipalities, non-profits and entrepreneurs as a foundation to his focus on law and technology. Doug has a background in computer consulting and is fluent in many programming languages. His other computer skills include database and network management, expert systems, simulation design, and various software packages.
Doug is certified as an Intellectual Property Law Specialist by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education. Certification is the highest level of recognition by The Florida Bar of the competency and experience of attorneys in the area of Intellectual Property Law.
Doug has authored many articles on intellectual property and legal technology for various publications and has been interviewed on similar topics for several publications.
· AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
· 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property
· Florida Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine, 2013
· Florida Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2010
· 25 "People to Watch" by biz941 magazine, 2008
· C.L. McKaig Award in recognition of distinguished service to the Sarasota County Bar Association, 2004
Professional and Community Affiliations
· Computer & Technology Law Committee of The Florida Bar, Past-Chair
· Intellectual Property Committee of The Florida Bar
· Business Law Section (BLS) of The Florida Bar, Executive Council
· The Florida Bar BLS Civil Rules Subcommittee on Electronic Discovery, Chair
· Florida Statewide E-Filing Committee and Records Workgroup, Past BLS Representative
· The Judge John M. Scheb American Inn of Court, Webmaster
· Suncoast Technology Forum, Director
· Sarasota County Bar Association, President-Elect
· Sarasota County Bar Young Lawyers Division, Past-President
· Sarasota County Bar Technology Committee, Past-Chair
· Sarasota County Bar E-Filing Committee, Past-Chair
· Sarasota County Bar's monthly newspaper, The Docket, Past Editor, 2004-2005
· Sarasota Chamber of Commerce, Past Member of Small Business Council
Educational / Religious Organizations
Public Law and Public Finance
Sports and Entertainment
Transportation and Distribution