Doug Atnipp is the Texas Regional Managing Shareholder, Co-Managing Shareholder of the Houston office and Co-Chair of the firm's national Energy and Natural Resources Practice Group. Doug has more than 25 years of experience representing clients engaged in all facets of the energy business. He is involved in a wide range of energy-related transactions including energy finance, joint ventures and strategic alliances, and acquisitions and dispositions of energy-related assets. In addition to his energy work, Doug regularly advises clients not in the energy business on general corporate and finance transactions.
Doug is listed in the 2003-2014 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, Natural Resources Law section, and he has been consistently selected by Texas Super Lawyers magazine and "Top 100 Lawyers in the City of Houston" in Energy Law every year since 2003.
Areas of Concentration
· Mezzanine and conventional production based financing
· Production payment financing vehicles
· Producing property acquisitions and divestitures
· Pipeline development, acquisitions and financing
· Gas storage project development, acquisitions and financing
· Derivative transactions
· Natural gas storage contracts
· Unique asset utilization arrangements
· Strategic alliances and joint ventures
· Independent power project development, acquisitions and financing
· Fuel supply contracts
· Formation of joint ventures, partnerships and other business entities for drilling and oilfield service projects
· Master service agreements
· Acquisition and divesture of gas processing and treating facilities and mid-stream transportation facilities
· Acquisition and divestiture of pipeline and gathering systems
· Formation of strategic alliances, partnerships and joint ventures for the development of pipeline projects
· Gas storage, processing and treating agreements
· Negotiation and preparation of facility use agreements
· Preparation of transportation contracts for crude oil, natural gas and liquids
· Gas purchase and sales agreements
· Industry standard contracts
Professional & Community Involvement
· Sustaining Life fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
· Sustaining Life fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
· Member, American Bar Association
· Member, Houston Bar Association
· Member, Institute for Energy Law Advisory Board
· Member, State Bar of Texas
· Member, Texas Tech School of Law Foundation Board
· Member, Vanderbilt University Alumni Association Board of Directors, 2006-2010
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Natural Resources Law; Oil and Gas Law, 2001-2014
· Team Member, Corporate Board Member magazine and FTI Consulting Inc., one of "America's Best Corporate Law Firms," 13th Annual Legal Industry Study, 2013
· Listed, Chambers Global, Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional), 2011-2013
· Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2008-2013
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2013
- Corporate Counsel (Business Edition), 2009-2010
· Listed, Houston Business Journal "Who's Who in Energy," 2012
· Listed, "Houston's Top Lawyers", H Texas Magazine, 2011
· Listed, Texas' Best Lawyers, 2008-2010
· Listed, Top 100 Lawyers in the City of Houston, Texas Monthly, 2003-2005
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented independent oil and gas producers in connection with acquisition, divestiture and financing of producing projects and entities.
· Represented governmental entity in connection with the development of a major gas pipeline.
· Represented natural gas storage companies in connection with joint venture/strategic alliances.
· Represented gas storage development companies in connection with development and financing of natural gas storage facilities.
· Represented major pipeline company in connection with the formation of a joint venture for the development of an eastern corridor natural gas pipeline.°
· Represented lenders in connection with production-based financings.
· Represented lenders in connection with financing for distributive generation power projects and landfill gas-to-power projects.°
· Represented natural gas and power marketing company in acquisition and divestiture of wholesale natural gas and power business.°
· Represented independent power producer in connection with natural gas contract restructuring and buy-down for gas supplies for various Texas power plants.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Atnipp prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Co-Author, "Bonus Vs. Royalty: Oil And Gas Landowners' Dilemma," Law360, July 27, 2013
· Co-Author, "Top Issues Facing Landowners of Oil and Gas," Law360, April 15, 2013
· Co-Author, "Be Ready with Right Credit in Case There's a Major Meltdown," Houston Business Journal, June 2003
· Co-Author, "Mezzanine Financing Alternative Helps Lower Overall Cost of Capital," HoustonBusiness Journal, April 2003