Douglas, a shareholder in the Casualty Department, has been representing insurance companies and self-insureds for more than 25 years. Doug focuses his law practice on complex and high-exposure cases involving insurance coverage, bad faith, premises liability, construction accidents, motor vehicle accidents, trucking and transportation litigation, product liability, marine and inland marine.
Doug has been involved in over 50 published opinions. He has argued before the United States Court of Appeals and has been before the United States District Court on numerous occasions. In addition to handling a full caseload, he serves as unit manager to the Casualty Department and as account coordinator for many insurance companies.
He has lectured for numerous clients and organizations such as the CPCU Society, the Insurance Institute of America, PLRB, and the Insurance Society of Philadelphia on such topics as insurance coverage, bad faith and premises liability. He serves as a judge pro tempore for the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia.
Currently, Doug serves as the Defense Research Institute's Pennsylvania State Co-Liaison, Insurance Law Committee.
Doug was the author of the Pennsylvania Section, 2001 DRI Unfair Claims Practices Statute Compendium of the Defense Research Institute and a contributor to AIC 35 Property Loss Adjusting for the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters and Insurance Institute of America in 2003 and AIC 33 Claims Handling Practices in 2006.
In 2005, Doug was voted a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer. In addition, he has an AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
Doug is a graduate of Penn State University where he majored in history and participated in varsity athletics. He graduated magna cum laude and was named Phi Beta Kappa. He received the Penn State Superior Scholar-Athlete from Joe Paterno. Following graduation from college, he attended the Villanova University School of Law where he received his juris doctor in 1983 and served on the Moot Court Board.
•Analyzing Slip and Fall Claims, Gallagher Bassett Services, April 2014, co-presenter
•Garage Liability, Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB), Fall 2008
•Audit Documentation and Ethics, Philadelphia Premium Auditors' Society, 2008
•Property Damage Claim Analysis, Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, 2008
•Insurance Fraud and Criminal Referrals, Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, 2008
•Garage Liability Coverage, Property Loss Research Bureau, 2008
•Electronic Discovery and the Claims Professional, AIC Conferment Speech, 2007
•On the Hot Seat: Testimony of the Claims Professional, Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, 2007
•Pennsylvania Personal Auto Law and Ethical Issues, CPCU Society of Philadelphia, 2006
•UM/UIM Claims and Bad Faith, Delchester Claims Association, 2005
•Insurance Coverage, CPCU Society of Philadelphia, 2004
•Contractual Indemnification and Insurance Claims, Insurance Society of Philadelphia, 2002
•Bad Faith, Knox Marine's 10th Annual Yacht Conference, 2002
•Instructor - insurance coverage, bad faith and premises liability - multiple clients of the firm
• Protect Yourself Against Bad Faith Allegations, Society of Registered Professional Adjusters' Newsletter, 2006
• AIC 33 Claims Handling Practices, American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters and Insurance Institute of America, 2006
• No New UM/UIM Forms with Policy Changes on Renewal, Defense Digest, 2005
• AIC 35 Property Loss Adjusting, American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters and Insurance Institute of America, 2003, Contributor
• Pennsylvania Section, 2001 DRI Unfair Claims Practices Statute Compendium, Defense Research Institute, 2001
• Pennsylvania Supreme Court Questions Extending the Statute of Limitations Against Defendants When Plaintiff Serves an Action Properly, Defense Digest, 2001, Co-Author
• Case of Failure to Properly Serve Action Statute of Limitations Rule in Question, The Legal Intelligencer, 2001, Co-Author
• How to Protect Yourself Before Litigation Begins, Commercial Realty Review, 2000
• Good Faith Effort Requirements and Guidelines for Service of Process Under Lamp v. Heyman, Defense Digest, 1998, Co-author
• Pennsylvania Superior Court Affirms Importance of the Lack of Constructive Notice Defense in Premises Liability Wrongful Death Action, Defense Digest, 1997, Co-author
• Complete Operation-A More Consistent Approach to Insurance Coverage for Loading and Unloading Motor Vehicles, Defense Digest, 1996, Co-author
• Damages Section, Martindale-Hubbell, 1994-1995
Honors & Awards
•AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
•Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2005
Year Joined Organization