Doug has developed a reputation as a clear, strategic thinker with a view to understanding both short and long range objectives for his clients. He constantly strives to provide prompt service and practical advice to his business clients with a view to providing them with creative and innovative solutions to whatever issues they may be facing. Doug has a particular interest in the following areas:
· Transactions involving mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and the reorganization of business ventures within and outside of Canada
· Corporate and commercial strategic planning, organization of corporations, unlimited liability companies, limited liability companies, joint ventures, partnerships, limited partnerships and proprietorships
· Negotiated and hostile mergers and acquisitions
· Corporate governance, including advising clients on the implementation of compliance programs, compliance audits, and directors and officers' liability
· Business organization governance planning and structuring, including shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, limited partnership agreements and joint venture agreements
· Dispute resolution and problem solving of inter-party organizational and operational disputes, including the negotiation of and implementation of reorganizations
· Incorporations, joint ventures, partnerships and franchises
· Consulting on stock exchange compliance including listing requirements and offerings of debt or equity
· Negotiating business transactions
· Advising on most operational aspects of business enterprises, including employment matters, contract matters and leasing matters
· Developing strategies for clients concerning the purchase or sale of a business
· Providing assistance to business organizations to solve operational problems including difficulties relating to dealings with banks and financial institutions
· Acts as General Counsel to large public corporations
· Active as a Director and Corporate Secretary of various public and private entities
Doug practices general corporate/commercial law and has experience in a wide range of corporate matters--from assisting start-up companies with all facets of their business, to advising on multimillion-dollar domestic and international transactions. He acts for both vendors and purchasers in mergers and acquisitions involving both public and private companies. He has also acted for issuers in respect of initial public offerings, secondary financing and dealings with regulators, including stock exchanges and securities commissions.
Doug is a Director and/or Officer of numerous private and public corporations in Canada in addition to serving on the Boards of various Alberta charities and not-for-profit organizations. He is currently the Chairman of the Board of the Edmonton Eskimo Football Club, the Chairman of the Board of the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation, the Chairman of the Board of the Fort Edmonton Management Company, and the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT).
Doug formerly served on the Board of Directors of the Capital Health Authority, and also served as Chairman of the Molson Canadian Heritage Hockey Classic held in November 2003. In 2004 Doug was named one of the "50 Most Influential People" by Alberta Venture Magazine. Doug has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Securities law.