Practice/Industry Group Overview
Sophisticated consumers of legal services require certain qualities of their litigators. They look for depth, specific experience, geographic representation and a well-defined approach to complex matters.
Duane Morris' trial lawyers have the level of industry-specific litigation experience necessary to successfully manage large-case litigation for clients ranging from individuals to Fortune 100 companies.
What Sets Us Apart
Our clients tell us that our strength is in our know-how. Our process is to listen with an experienced ear, understand a client's business needs and objectives, and then fully evaluate appropriate strategies and combination of tactics. We employ an interdisciplinary approach - drawing on the appropriate practice group and industry-specific professionals.
We take our role as counselors seriously. This commitment distinguishes our litigation practice, which features:
- Industry Experience and Teams - from electric utilities to chemical, from hospitality to telecommunications, Duane Morris lawyers represent clients in many industries in state and federal trial and appellate courts in the United States and in courts throughout the United Kingdom and European Union. Our collective capabilities are both deep and wide. We assemble teams of lawyers with particularized technical practice backgrounds, as well as individual industry experience.
- Extensive Courtroom and ADR Experience - we call ourselves the "Trial Department" because we actually try cases to verdict. Whenever possible, however, we make use of alternative dispute resolution techniques such as arbitration and mediation to pursue the client's goals. We advise clients on how to proceed and how judges have handled similar issues previously. We are able to discuss an opponent's strengths and weaknesses. Our industry familiarity allows us to give on-point advice for industry-specific needs.
- Geographic Coverage - Our numerous offices allow us to staff each case with local talent who have had experience with the courts, the regulatory authorities and other lawyers in the jurisdiction. Each lawyer's longstanding presence in the local legal community is supported by the firm's lawyers in our offices across the United States and in London. In London, we try cases, appeals and appearances in specialist divisions of the Construction & Technology and the Commercial Courts. Our London lawyers frequently are retained to monitor activities of regional law firms in the U.K. and elsewhere in the European Union.
- Effective Resource Management - We are familiar with an industry's issues and can mobilize human and technological resources immediately. For example, we know how to process and analyze thousands of documents; our computer capabilities are regularly employed by Fortune 100 companies; and we have been a leader in alternative fee structures, including contingent fee and success premiums. With the firm's advanced Information Services Department, we assist clients by structuring and managing evidence databases, calling upon cutting-edge software for case analysis and risk assessment, and preparing and using multimedia trial presentations, Extranets and other advanced litigation support tools.
- Contingency Fee Practice - Our active contingency fee practice is unique among large law firms. We regularly represent clients otherwise unable to pursue large-case litigation.