Practice/Industry Group Overview
Duane Morris has a strong commitment to the emerging business community. Our Emerging Business Group assists many new and emerging businesses with all aspects of their formation, growth, financing and development.
In particular, the Group provides services in the following areas:
- Start-up and growth planning, including identifying and structuring an appropriate legal entity, assisting in the preparation of business plans and structuring and drafting agreements among stockholders and partners.
- Securities law compliance and advice, including structuring the terms of corporate stock, partnership interests and other securities; representation in connection with the offer and sale of securities, including drafting private offering documents and federal and state securities law compliance; negotiating and structuring venture capital investments, debt instruments and other financing relationships; representation in initial public offerings; and securities law compliance by public companies.
- Structuring and drafting employment, consulting and noncompete agreements, and drafting and providing advice regarding various types of stock option and other equity incentive plans, employee stock savings plans and other employee benefit plans.
- Intellectual property services, including procuring, licensing and enforcing patents, trademarks and copyrights; counseling with respect to patentability, validity and infringement issues and developing strategic alliances.
- Negotiating and structuring corporate partner relationships, acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, distribution arrangements and franchising relationships.
- General business representation, including advice in connection with bank loans, leases and other business contracts.
Lawyers from different disciplines in the firm work together to provide emerging businesses with the comprehensive legal services required for successful business ventures.
Duane Morris has served as counsel to several venture capital funds for many years and has considerable experience in structuring venture capital and other equity and mezzanine investments in early stage companies. The Group has also represented numerous entrepreneurs in starting, acquiring and financing emerging businesses.
Duane Morris attorneys across the country are members of, and work with, numerous organizations dedicated to promoting economic growth and creating an environment in which high-technology companies can flourish. Some of these organizations include:
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners
- Biotechnology Greenhouse of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Entrepreneurs' Forum of Greater Philadelphia
- Greater Philadelphia Venture Group
- Houston Technology Center
- Launchpad Venture Group
- Life Sciences Greenhouse of Central Pennsylvania
- Mid-Atlantic Venture Conference
- MIT Enterprise Forum
- New Jersey Technology Council
- New York Young Startup Venture Summit
- Northern Virginia Technology Council
- Peak Pitch Entrepreneurs/Venture Capital Conference
- Pennsylvania Biotechnology Association
- Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association
- San Diego Venture Group
- Technology Council of Eastern Pennsylvania
- Ultra Light Startups
- Upstate Venture Association of New York
- Women's Investment Network
Articles Authored by Lawyers at this office:
Bill Introduced In Senate To End Travel Restrictions To Cuba
Jose A. Aquino, March 18, 2015
On January 29, 2015, a coalition of four Republican and four Democrat senators introduced legislation to restore freedom to travel to Cuba. While President Obama has announced normalization of some relations between the two countries and relaxed travel restrictions to Cuba such that Americans...
New U.S. Policy Towards Cuba Put In Motion By Construction Of Church
Jose A. Aquino, March 18, 2015
The construction of Cuba’s first Roman Catholic Church since Castro came to power in 1959 may well be the first test of the new U.S. policy towards Cuba. The new church, with an expected capacity to accommodate at least 200 worshipers, is set to be built in Sandino, a small, secluded town in...
Delaware Supreme Court Issues Important Revlon Reminder
Richard L. Renck, February 17, 2015
On December 19, 2014, the Supreme Court of Delaware issued an engaging opinion reminding readers of the historical origins of the Revlon doctrine in Delaware corporate jurisprudence and reversing the Court of Chancery’s grant of preliminary injunctive relief because it was based on an...
U.S. Business Embraces President’s Plan For A New Course On Cuba
Jose A. Aquino, February 17, 2015
Yesterday, President Obama announced wide-ranging adjustments of US policy towards Cuba including opening an embassy in Havana. The Obama Plan involves a series of measures aimed at increasing trade between the two countries. The basic premise of the plan is to permit certain exports to Cuba, relax...
New Jersey Establishes Complex Business Litigation Program
James J. Ferrelli, December 10, 2014
The Supreme Court of New Jersey has announced the establishment of a Complex Business Litigation Program, effective January 1, 2015, with designated judges in each county assigned to provide individualized case management to complex business, commercial and construction cases meeting the program...
Get ready, Vietnam’s Restaurants Open To 100% Foreign Ownership!
Manfred Otto, November 17, 2014
Now is the time for international chains to position themselves. Beginning in January 2015, Vietnam’s restaurant business is open to 100 percent foreign ownership. Foreign-invested enterprises (“FIE”) may run their own production and internal logistics network free from...
Georgia Supreme Court Affirms Business Judgment Rule
, July 23, 2014
The Georgia Supreme Court has, for the first time, affirmed the existence of the business judgment rule in Georgia common law. More specifically, however, the state Supreme Court held that the business judgment rule does not automatically prevent all claims for ordinary negligence against corporate...