Practice/Industry Group Overview
Durham Jones & Pinegar offers a range of solutions both for government clients and clients who interact with government. Our government practice includes work with a diverse range of issues, agencies, and businesses to benefit private and public interests. Our attorneys understand government, some have worked within government, and we know the policies and decision-makers that can advance our clients’ goals.
Representation Before Agencies
Our clients interact with administrative agencies for reasons as diverse as their businesses and personal pursuits. We represent clients before federal, state and local agencies in matters ranging from common concerns with employment, professional licensing, immigration, land use and contracting to specialized needs involving aviation, taxes, the environment, housing and transportation.
Our representation can take many forms, such as with hearings before administrative law judges, advisory boards and appointed agency directors; rulemaking proceedings; and judicial appeals of agency decisions.
¿Whether you are pursuing a business goal or defending against a claim or inquiry, our expertise with government agencies can help you create the results you need.
Our Experience Includes:
• Aviation: Broad airport representation, corporate aircraft transactions, airport leases and property transactions, airport concession agreements, FAA certificate actions, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise issues, compliance with grant assurances and passenger facility charge requirements, other federal and state regulatory compliance issues.
• Business: Securities, business entities, business licensing, antitrust, export import.
• Disadvantaged Business Enterprises: Certification issues, contract compliance, federal program compliance, disparity study legal analysis.
• Employment: Personnel disputes, state and federal regulatory compliance, company policies and procedures, employee benefits, whistleblower, discrimination, labor issues, immigration issues, COBRA, Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, worker’s compensation, wrongful termination claims, breach of contract claims, negligent employment and more.
• Environment: Landfill permitting and regulatory compliance; contamination mitigation requirements (CERCLA and state); Clean Water Act compliance (stormwater, TMDL, and POTW); structuring local government environmental programs (including code enforcement and lease provisions); Clean Air Act; Safe Drinking Water Act; investigation, remediation and redevelopment for Superfund and “brownfield” lands; redevelopment agencies and other transactions involving contaminated properties, environmental permits, environmental litigation, public lands.
• Government Requirements: Government records requests (“GRAMA” requests), ethics opinions and presentations, open meetings requirements (“sunshine” laws), government procurement, government contracting, applying statutory requirements and local ordinance requirements.
• Housing: Low income housing tax credit financing, including obtaining tax credits, equity buy-in partner negotiations and documentation, compliance and leasing issues, HUD multifamily loans and Section 8 housing issues, and USDA loan financing.