Although located in the firm's Kansas City Office, Mr. Marquette has a national practice focused on intellectual property (IP), technology, and trade regulation matters. His IP practice includes brand and trademark counseling, protection, and enforcement. His technology-related practice encompasses technology development agreements and arrangements, E-commerce and Internet law matters, high-tech procurement negotiations and contracting, and product procurement and sourcing (especially sourcing in China). His trade regulation experience includes international and domestic (30 countries) distribution and franchising and complex domestic and cross-border competitor collaborations, including information sharing (within and without trade associations) and IP cross-licensing.
Acting as a business partner with clients, he works along side executives and boards of directors in formulating IP and product strategies, both offensive and defensive. He has worked extensively on privacy counseling issues, including compliance with state and federal privacy laws and regulations and payment card industry and financial institution security standards (such as PCI-DSS).
Mr. Marquette served on the ABA select Committee on the National Information Infrastructure, is the past Chair of the New Information Technologies Committee of the ABA, Chair (repeatedly) of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association's (KCMBA) Computer and Technology Law Committee, and a member of the KCMBA's Select Task Force on Technology. He has long been listed in The Best Lawyers in America , Intellectual Property Law section.
• Regularly counsels with clients concerning intellectual property policies and strategies, integrating business goals and product/service strategies.
• Counsels, protects and enforces intellectual property rights of all forms, including patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, and mask works.
• Extensive experience in drafting and negotiating complex technology development and supply agreements involving multiple parties, including technologies as varied as genetically modified biological entities, HDD and SSD controller technology, robotic product delivery systems, and hydrostatic fluid power systems.
• Worldwide experience in drafting and managing distribution and licensing systems, together with issues pertaining to counterfeit goods.
• Extensive work in representing both franchisors and franchisees as well as manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers in all aspects of distribution-related legal matters.
• Pioneering developments in establishing and implementing complex competitor collaboration arrangements, including the well-known 20 Groups in the automotive industry, trade association antitrust policies, and even joint negotiating committees comprised of competitors.
August 18, 2014 2015 Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 56 Kutak Rock Attorneys
Kutak Rock is pleased to announce that 56 of its attorneys are included in the 21st edition of The Best Lawyers in America publication.
August 15, 2013 Record Number of Kutak Rock Attorneys Named Best Lawyers Forty-seven Kutak Rock attorneys reprenting 10 of the firm's 16 offices have been listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2014.
September 7, 2012 Best Lawyers Increase by 50% to 45 attorneys Forty-five Kutak Rock lawyers were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2013.
August 30, 2011 29 Kutak Rock Attorneys Are 'Best Lawyers'
Twenty-nine Kutak Rock lawyers have been selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2012 (Copyright 2011 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.).
January 27, 2011 Firm Elects 24 To Join Partnership In 2011
June 22, 2012 Corporate Counsel CLE
June 17, 2011 Intellectual Property CLE