Ted Yoo is a registered patent and trademark agent in both Canada and the United States. His practice covers all matters related to intellectual property (IP), but is particularly focused on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, licensing, patentability and freedom to operate opinions, and IP review in support of financings, and mergers and acquisitions.
With a background in microbiology and chemistry, and an enduring personal interest in all areas of technology, Ted acts for clients in the fields of biotechnology, nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals, forestry and agriculture, and the oil and gas industry. In particular, Ted has significant experience with pharmaceuticals, advanced materials, fuel cells, fertilizer production, upstream, midstream and downstream petroleum technology, and computer-related inventions.
He is a Sessional Lecturer in IP Law at the Faculty of Law, University of Alberta and has lectured in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Alberta.
Past and present memberships and volunteer positions include:
• Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
• Association of University Technology Managers
• Licensing Executives Society
• Canadian Association of Law Teachers
• Alberta Health Industry Association (AHIA)
• Past member of the Canada Patent Agent Examining Board
• Past Vice-President of the Alberta Soccer Association, and current member of the Risk Management Committee
• Coach and former board member of Scottish United Soccer Club
• Past Chair of The Arthritis Society (Alberta and NWT Division)
• Past Director of the National Board of The Arthritis Society
• Past Director of Edmonton Korean Cultural Centre Foundation
• Acted on behalf of EZ Core in connection with selling Drive Rental assets to Cahill Services for $24 million.
• Acted on behalf of an Alberta based oilfield services company with operations in North American and the Middle East, in connection with its US$26 million disposition of its business and operating assets to a US-based strategic buyer.
• Acted on behalf of Progressive Home Warranty Solutions Inc. and Pacific Home Warranty Insurance Services Inc. (the PHWG Group ) in connection with the sale of all of the shares and business of PHWG Group to Hub International Limited.
• 2016, IAM Patent 1000 The Worlds Leading Patent Practitioners
Edward (Ted) Yoo, recommended as a leading patent professional
• 2016, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Edward (Ted) Yoo, repeatedly recommended, Intellectual Property
• 2015, Best Lawyers in Canada
Edward (Ted) Yoo, recognized as one of Canada's leading intellectual property lawyers
• The Supreme Court of Canada VIAGRA Case: 5 Messages Technology Businesses Should Receive
• Newco Tank Cautionary Note on Over-reliance on Headings by Patent Drafters
News & Speaking Engagements
• Funding and Protecting Your R&D: Opportunities in the Energy Services Industry
• The Great Articling Debate