Edward T. Kole is a shareholder at the firm of Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer P.A. and chair of the Business Litigation Department. He is engaged in the practice of complex corporate and commercial litigation. In addition to other areas of corporate and commercial law, Mr. Kole is experienced in complex contract disputes, restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation, securities and derivative actions, as well as litigation concerning business, shareholder/partnership and franchise disputes. His litigation practice in the federal and state courts also extends to cases handled outside of New Jersey, in various courts around the country, including matters venued in Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, New York and Texas.
Mr. Kole is presently the Treasurer of the Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey and is a past chair of the Federal Practice and Procedure Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA). He is also the current chair of the Business and Commercial Litigation Committee of the NJSBA and previously served as a member of the Appellate Practice Committee. Mr. Kole is also a co-chair of the pro bono committee for the United States District Court of New Jersey. Mr. Kole is a frequent lecturer on federal and appellate practice, restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation, as well as on shareholder disputes and has conducted and moderated numerous seminars for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Mr. Kole is also a member of the Business Torts Litigation, Class Action and Derivative Suits, and Litigation Appellate Practice committees of the American Bar Association.
Before joining the firm, Mr. Kole was a judicial intern to the Honorable Leonard I. Garth, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, and to the Honorable Robert E. Cowen, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He was also a judicial clerk for the Honorable Eugene D. Serpentelli, Assignment Judge, County of Ocean, Superior Court of New Jersey.
Mr. Kole has been selected for inclusion in the New Jersey Best Lawyers in America list since 2006 and New Jersey Super Lawyers list since its inception in 2005.
Area of Emphasis
Corporate Commercial Litigation, Federal Court Practice, Chancery Practice, Appellate Practice, Class Actions, Franchise Litigation, Partnership/Shareholder Disputes, Business Disputes, Security Litigation, Derivative Actions, Estate Litigation
• Appellate Docket - Fall 2008
• Complex Litigation: Fighting Claims of Corporate Wrongdoing
• Minimize Undue Influence Claims Through Proper Drafting and Execution of the Will
• Presentation: Beyond the Employment Agreement: The Life-Cycle of a Medical Practice from Buy-In to Buy-Out and the Consequences of Restrictive Covenants
• The More and Pierson Decisions: Restrictive Covenants Between Physicians are Enforceable, and May Restrict Physicians from Practicing in Local Hospitals
• The Threat or Prospect of Franchise Termination: Knowing Your Rights In New Jersey
• Updated Corporate Statutes Make New Jersey More Attractive to Businesses