Practice/Industry Group Overview
The Edwards Wildman Private Client Department is an aggregation of people with the skills, talents and experience to provide advice and representation to individuals and families in the world of tax, law and finance. Our lawyers, paralegals, tax accountants, investment advisors, trust administrators, and secretaries share the overriding common mission of providing the finest personal service to our clients. Our Private Client group is one of the largest and most experienced in the Northeast and the US. We are committed to providing full services in order to help our clients preserve their financial security for themselves and their legacy for future generations.
Private Client lawyers advise and represent clients in the following areas:
- Income, gift, estate and generation-skipping tax planning and advice for individuals and families.
- Estate and trust planning, including every aspect of implementation such as will and trust preparation and the preparation of ancillary documents, including deeds, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, beneficiary designations and premarital agreements. Consideration is given to both the tax and non-tax concerns involved in this complex and creative area.
- All aspects of representation and services in estate administration, including attention to the prompt settlement of estates as efficiently and as practically as possible with the primary consideration of reducing the estate and income tax burden for the beneficiaries of the estate.
- Fiduciary services, including serving as executors, trustees, guardians and conservators, and providing a comprehensive range of trust administration services and access to a variety of sophisticated financial and investment management arrangements. We maintain a full investment management group of highly qualified investment professionals who advise our partners serving as fiduciaries and our clients to ensure the preservation and healthy growth of estates’, trusts’ and clients’ assets.
- Advice and representation in the resolution of controversies and court proceedings regarding the whole range of issues that may affect the financial well-being of a family or its members, including the interpretation and reformation of wills and trusts, disputes regarding the probate of wills, the review and allowance of estate and trust accountings and the resolution of disputes regarding accountings, and technical matters regarding the assessment and allocation of taxes.
- The organization and devolution of privately-owned business and real property interests.
- International income tax, estate and gift planning for individuals personally and with respect to US individuals’ interests in foreign estates and trusts, and the creation and maintenance of international trusts.
- Charitable gift planning and the organization and administration of charitable foundations, trusts and other vehicles for tax advantaged charitable giving.
- Preparation of all federal and state income, gift, estate and generation-skipping tax returns and representation in administrative proceedings involving federal and state tax authorities.