Practice/Industry Group Overview
Edwards Wildman's public policy and government relations professionals have the demonstrated experience and capability to prepare successful government relations strategies in high pressure, complex, and time sensitive situations. Clients regularly look to our lawyers for advice on how best to approach policy-makers. Having developed strong relationships with legislators and other policy-makers at all levels of both federal and state government, including the U.S. House and Senate, and throughout the Executive Branch, Edwards Wildman can use its legal and political expertise to achieve optimal policy outcomes.
When government action or inaction is at issue, sometimes the answer lies with the courts, sometimes with the legislative branch, and sometimes with executive agencies. Frequently the best solution will involve a combination of approaches. Determining the best course of action often requires split-second decision-making and the consequences of choosing the wrong path are often irreversible.
Clients today are faced with unprecedented legislative and regulatory challenges. Using its public policy expertise, Edwards Wildman can work closely with clients to prepare government relations strategies for advancing favorable legislation and regulations and improving client relationships with regulators and policy-makers. As a full-service, international law firm with lawyers versed in virtually every area of the law, our Public Policy & Government Relations Department has a deep bench of legal talent available to assist in approaching policy-makers to discuss current and proposed legislation and regulations, and in creating integrated legal and public policy solutions.
Our Public Policy & Government Relations Department is comprised of a focused team of professionals with diverse backgrounds in politics, government, and law. Our professionals understand the intersections of business and government and are skilled navigators of the often challenging operating environment created by all levels of government.
Our Public Policy and Lobbying Group can provide a wide variety of services including:
- Monitoring and analyzing the federal and state legislative and regulatory process to ensure that all client interests are represented and to prevent surprise from adverse government action.
- Crafting strategies for promoting, defeating, or otherwise influencing the enactment of legislation in Congress and state legislatures and the promulgation of regulations in federal and state agencies.
- Identifying and arranging meetings with key legislators and policy-makers.
- Acting as legislative counsel to clients advocating their position to legislators, legislative committees, and executive agencies.
- Drafting proposed legislation and regulations.
- Coordinating litigation, lobbying, and public affairs activities to achieve powerful results.
- Coordinating grassroots lobbying through the organization of coalitions of businesses, industries, trade associations, and private citizens to support or oppose legislation or regulations.
- Advising clients on compliance with federal and state campaign finance, ethics, lobbying and election laws.