Practice/Industry Group Overview
Edwards Wildman's experience in financial services litigation is as broad and varied as the industry itself. From consumer-related claims and class actions to complex merger disputes, in high-stakes litigation and government investigations, our trial teams have successfully represented a wide range of local, regional and national financial institutions. We include among our active clients financial and bank holding companies, commercial banks, thrifts (in both mutual and stock form), credit unions, mortgage bankers, commercial and consumer finance companies, insurance and reinsurance companies, insurance agents and brokers, investment managers, securities brokerages, stock exchange specialists, venture capital investors and hedge funds.
In order to address the wide variety of legal issues our financial services clients face, Edwards Wildman lawyers work together across departmental lines to bring the requisite experience to each issue. However, our attorneys do more than simply solve discreet problems. We strive to identify and also to anticipate industry trends and issues, whatever their origin, and we apply our industry experience and insight to the advice we give to each of our clients.
As the financial services industry continues to evolve and individual industry participants strive to expand their services as well as to define their niche, clients need legal advisers whose business experience is not limited to one or two business sectors. Our custom tailored cross-departmental teams deliver efficient results to each unique challenge. Whether the case in question merits tactical discovery and an early dispositive motion, comprehensive discovery and trial, positioning a critical legal issue for appeal, or the prudent negotiation of an early settlement, our trial teams bring to bear the experience and resources necessary to achieve each client’s specific goals.
Experience In Your Industry Sector
We have particular experience handling disputes arising in the following areas:
- credit cards
- portfolio sales, mergers and acquisitions
- residential and commercial real estate transactions
- deposit products
- consumer privacy
- bank practices and regulatory compliance
- National Bank Act, Home Owners’ Loan Act, Sherman Act, Truth in Lending Act, Electronic Funds Transfer Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act and Gramm-Leach Bliley Act
- state law claims, including fraud, consumer credit disclosure, unfair competition, and claims asserting violations of the Uniform Commercial Code, Retail Installment Sales Acts or Closed End Credit statutes
- business method patent disputes
Members of the group also handle shareholder class actions, derivative and related litigation involving alleged securities law violations, including claims based upon insider trading, market manipulation, accounting fraud, improper revenue recognition, inadequate recordkeeping, breaches of fiduciary duties, failure to disclose material information, false disclosures and control person liability for financial institutions.