Mr. Richards has extensive litigation experience and has tried to conclusion well over 100 cases. His practice emphasizes litigation (often requiring internal/government investigations) involving public entities in areas such as inverse condemnation, public works contracts, employment, civil rights, road design and premises liability. Mr. Richards represents public entities, for-profit and nonprofit corporations and officers and directors in areas including products liability, employment, construction, intellectual property, university sports liability, business torts and discrimination.
• Representing clients involved in litigation arising from condemnation and inverse condemnation by public entities including cases involving land subsidence, flooding, redevelopment activities and land development.
• Land use litigation related to affordable housing issues, code enforcement and zoning.
• Employment litigation including wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation.
• Product liability litigation including manufacturing and industrial equipment, roadway design, food products and vehicles.
• Representing government officials and corporate officers and directors in cases involving allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and libel, including cases seeking to impose individual liability.
August 1, 2014 Kutak Rock Successfully Dismisses Claims Against City
Edwin Richards, an attorney in the Irvine and Los Angeles offices of Kutak Rock, led a team of attorneys that successfully defended a city in California after a homeowner sued the city for flood damages to its million-dollar home after a rainstorm.
October 14, 2013 Wrongful Death Defense Verdict Take Nothing Result in Favor of Kutak Rock's Client
July 30, 2012 Ty Ku Wins $1.2 Million Lawsuit for Breach of Contract Jury verdict helps protect American company in international trade case with China.
January 27, 2012 No Employer Liability in Third-Party Tort Actions Downey v. Western Comty. College Area, 282 Neb. 970 (2012)
March 5, 2013 Deadline Quickly Approaching for Nursing Facility Mandatory Compliance Plans
The Affordable Care Act (ACA), enacted in 2010, mandates that Medicare/Medicaid-certified nursing facilities and skilled nursing facilities have an effective compliance plan in place by March 23, 2013. ACA states that [by March 23, 2013], a facility shall ... have in operation a compliance and ethics program that is effective in preventing and detecting criminal, civil, and administrative violations ... and in promoting quality of care. Nursing facilities are the first health care providers required to enact a mandatory compliance plan. For more information, read the client alert in its entirety.
January 27, 2012 No Employer Liability in Third-Party Tort Actions
Client Alert (Also at Los Angeles, California Office)